1998 Ford Ranger pickup

• by cricketgo

I bought my 98 Ford Ranger a few years ago. I got a good buy on it because the transmission was bad. The truck was drivable but you couldn’t use overdrive and the reverse was weak.

I paid $2400 for it at a car lot that was

going out of business. The amazing thing to me is that I drove this truck for a year before having it fixed.

The bad thing is, three years later, I was driving down the road, pushed the accelerator and nothing happened, the truck then died. We figured ok timing belt broke and sure enough thats what happened.

We fixed it and guess what, no overdrive and weak reverse. We examined the broken timing belt and could see that is wasn’t worn badly.

We figured the transmission overdrive quit and the computer tried to adjust ...

• 1998 Ford Ranger pickup
      the timing to compensate for it and as a result broke the belt. We changed the transmission fluid which had a foul, burnt smell to it, and now I’m driving the truck.

Fix the transmission? Probable not, if I do anything, I’ll put a standard

in it. Drive it tell it quits and get something else.

I’ve read this is a common problem with some Ford pickups, even later models. The funny thing is, outside of the transmission, I’ve had very few mechanical problems with it.

It a tough, good driving little truck.

chelsea says :

I have a 1998 ford ranger pickup, the emergency brake was used once and ever since the truck had problems going forward, we recently had it fixed and it worked for a while and now the truck won`t go forwars at all but will reverse. What is wrong

Dale K says :

I have a 98 ranger that has had same problem with trans.Its timing belt broke also.Have you had anymore problems with new belt without fixxing the trans?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91701282270631/k2311a0117/1.17.08