The Adventure of the Dying Detective
  • Wow, I have to admit, I was impressed with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's story, the Adventure of the Dying Detective
  • Even more amazing is the fact he enlists help from a villain who he suspects murdered his own nephew
  • And, by the time I was nearing the end, I found myself realizing exactly what was going on so the ending wasn't really much of a surprise to me
  • It's not the best Sherlock Holmes story I've read but it is definitely something different than the other adventures that are out there
  • I would probably recommend it as part of a full list of stories rather than one to be read on its own

• by Steve

Wow, I have to admit, I was impressed with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s story, the Adventure of the Dying Detective.

Of all the Sherlock Holmes cases I’ve read, this is the first one where I’ve had to read about the hero trying to solve a case while he lies dying on his bed from some rare Asian disease. And, it’s hard

to tell whether or not he is solving his last mystery or if he will, by some miracle, pull through.

Even more amazing is the fact he enlists help from a villain who he suspects murdered his own nephew.

This story is kind of short and I do think Doyle could have added much more detail to it. And, by the time ...

• I was nearing the end, I found myself realizing exactly what was going on so the ending wasn’t really much of a surprise to me. I won’t go into a lot of detail but I will say this adventure had more to do with deception than actual deduction.

Would I recommend this story to anyone? It probably will depend on the

circumstances. It’s not the best Sherlock Holmes story I’ve read but it is definitely something different than the other adventures that are out there. I would probably recommend it as part of a full list of stories rather than one to be read on its own; both because of the lack of mystery in it and because it is so short.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171601281810331/k2311a0116/1.16.08