Banner Springs TN  » Travel  »
Banner Springs Rd, Fentress County, Tennessee
  • I loved the nights we would sit around and play cards or games

• by sadonna

Banner Springs is a small community in Fentress County, TN. It consist of a gas station, community center, and furniture store. When my family first my family first moved to Banner Springs, Tennessee I was 15 years old. My aunt and uncle bought a place site unseen through an add in a Mother Earth News Magazine.

The add mentioned there was a rustic cabin on five acres for sale on land contract. So put a down payment on the place, then they loaded up there truck and blazer and their four kids and moved to Tennessee. What

they were not aware of was that the cabin had been partially torn apart by the previous owners before vacating it.

So They talked my parents into moving down to help them fix the cabin because my aunt was handicapped and unable to. So we moved to Tennessee in July of that year. We stayed in an 8 by 10 cabin tent for six months while we helped my aunt and uncle.

There was no electricity of any kind on the property or water so we had to make due. Every day we would load up in the truck and go to the bottom of the mountain because in the gulley was a river that formed a pond off to one side that was deep enough to swim and bathe in and we could get our water up stream for drinking and cooking. Once a week we would go to town to wash laundry and then hang it out around the cabin to dry.

We cooked on a camp fire and when it got cold we installed a wood stove in the cabin. We used tarps for a roof over the cabin and cardboard stapled over ...

• Banner Springs TN
      the inside of the walls because the chinking had been knocked out from between the logs. We had kerosene lanterns that we used for a couple of hours at night.

There were many a nights that I would sit on a stump and do my homework by moonlight. The worst times were when it rained because everything we owned got wet. I usually slept in the back of my aunt’s old Chevy blazer on an air mattress but the back window leaked so my blankets always got wet too.

I loved the nights we would sit

around and play cards or games. We would go to the gas station in Banner Springs on a regular basis and on special occasions I would buy candy and a pop. The owners of the gas station were really nice people.

One of the local churches offered to help my aunt and uncle get a trailer so they would have a decent house to live in and that is when we finally moved to Crossville. Banner Springs is located on a county road called Banner Springs which is off from highway 127 between Grimsley and Clarkrange in south Fentress County of Tennessee.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381601281580331/k2311a0116/1.16.08