Highway 127 Yard Sale  » Shopping  »
highway 127 from Ohio to Alabama
  • I know it used to be over 500 miles long but they keep adding to it so its kind of hard to keep up with the official length
  • I mean I like to shop for bargains at yard sales too but I don't get so extreme that I plan my vacation around it
  • However if you are looking for something unusual this is the best chance you will have of finding it because there are venders every where

• by sadonna

The 127 Yard Sale is the largest yard sale in the world. It starts around Cincinnati Ohio and runs into Alabama along highway 127. I know it used to be over 500 miles long but they keep adding to it so its kind of hard to keep up with the official length. One of the things that impresses me about it is that it was started by an Attorney named Walker in Jamestown, Tennessee which is where I live.

My mom and her friend Maggie typically rent an area to set up a booth to sell crafts that they make during this sale because it is such a large event. People from

all over the world come here to go yard selling. I find that to be a bit odd.

I mean I like to shop for bargains at yard sales too but I don’t get so extreme that I plan my vacation around it. However last year was a bad year as our economy has started going into a depression. My mom’s booth was at an old antique shop just outside of Jamestown.

The owner was nice enough to let her run an extension cord out to her tent for a fan and radio. It was over ninety degrees that week. The official sale starts on Friday and runs through Sunday but most of ...

• the venders set up all week because it is the busiest time for our area.

You see Jamestown is a small town with only three red lights so we typically don’t get many tourist. However during the 127 sale usually there are thousands of people coming through every hour. The worst thing about this sale is the traffic and all the wrecks that go along with the added traffic.

However if you are looking for something unusual this is the best chance you will have of finding it because there are venders every where. You literally cannot drive more than a mile or two without seeing five or ten venders set up along

highway 127. The local stores and restaurants also like the added business that they get by extra people being in the area.

So overall the economy of the whole area is affected by this annual event that occurs the first weekend of August every year. This year business was slow though was what everyone around was taking about. It was probably due to so many people loosing jobs to the slowing economy or the high gas prices and increases in food prices.

It is hard to believe how much things have went up this year in particular but yet incomes have not. I have a feeling things will get worse before they get better.

Ronnie Neal says :

What are the dates of the sale? Thanks, Ronnie

sadonna replies :

Another way you can find the dates of the sale for this year since the dates do vary from year to year is to look at the official website for the 127 sale which is 127sale.com .

sadonna says :

it officially starts the first thursday of August and runs through sunday. So the dates are not exactly the same each year. However a lot of venders set up a week in advance and up to a week afterwards as well. So if you cannot make it on the official weekend you can still find some great bargains a few days early or later which ever works out to your advantage.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 241301279530531/k2311a0113/1.13.08