Picnic Rock Jamestown TN  » Travel  »
Highway 52, Jamestown, TN
  • We carefully crossed over the cow pasture to a dirt road that went passed a farmers house and at the end of the road is the most amazing view of the valley that sits below Fentress county that I have ever seen
  • Then I got curious because I noticed a pinnacle of rock that was separated from the mainland

• by sadonna

As you are leaving Jamestown, TN driving towards Livingston on highway 52 there is a spot that is tucked in along side of the road on the left that we call Picnic Rock. It is named this because it is a large rock that you can pull underneath just off the side of the road. It has a couple of picnic tables and room to stretch your legs.

The view is pretty no matter what time of the year it is and makes a great little get away for an afternoon luncheon. What most people don’t know about it is that on top of the rock is a cattle farm.

Once I climbed up the rocks with a couple of my friends early in the morning.

We carefully crossed over the cow pasture to a dirt road that went passed a farmers house and at the end of the road is the most amazing view of the valley that sits below Fentress county that I have ever seen.

Its like the road must have went to an old church or school because there was playground equipment out there in an opening at what seemed like the edge of the earth to me. We swung on the swings for a bit then got on the merry go round.

It was as if the flowers and trees were spinning out of control like so many things in my life had felt before. Then I got curious because I noticed a pinnacle of rock ...

• that was separated from the mainland.

We jumped a two foot gap to get onto the rock and get a closer look at what was around it. Looking down the people and houses looked like flies.

They were so small but yet we knew they were really normally bigger than that. It is odd how your perspective of size can change when you are looking down on everything.

We noticed several ledges that we climb down the gap using and a larger one about two hundred feet down. So like the fools we were we climbed down the side of this rock and discovered that the ledge went around the corner into a cave that was tucked into the side of the mountain.

It was so

gorgeous I just couldn’t believe that more people did not know about this wonderful place. The cave was about ten feet wide and eight feet deep running under the area where the playground sat on top of the mountain.

We stayed for an hour but then decided we need to get back before our friends got worried. Climbing back up was harder than getting down but luckily Tim stayed behind and could give us a hand to get up.

We left shortly after we got back to the top of the pinnacle of rock. After we were back in the car at Picnic Rock I remember thinking how foolish we were and that we could have been hurt but none of that mattered while we were enjoying the view.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381301279280531/k2311a0113/1.13.08