Big South Fork State Park TN  » Travel  »
2.0
Big South Fork State Park, Tennessee
  • On the way back I noticed a marker for the trail and realized that we had gotten off on another trail some how
  • I learned that it was foolish to hike without a map of the trails because as I am finding out several of the trails are not marked very well

• by sadonna

It was a hot fall afternoon and we had nothing better to do but ride around out in the Big South Fork Park. We passed the West Entrance Trailhead of the Big South Fork Park and decided to stop. Now we had hiked the John Litton Farm loop trail before but this one was different. We decided to do it on a whim.

We had snacks and sodas in our car and I always carry a small waist pack that holds two bottles of water so I figured why not. We did not really plan for a hike and did not even have a map of the trail so we decided it would be an adventure.

We started out figuring we would take the short trail mentioned on the sign of 3.

4 miles to the visitor center. The trail starts off very broad and level. It was easy the first mile or two then it starts to drop down as it follows a gorge.

There were several points where we could see the main road which I did not like because the traffic was loud and disturbed the peace and quite we had been enjoying. I figured when we started that it would take us two hours at the most to complete the whole trail. However when after we had been hiking an hour and fifteen minutes and had not reach ...

• the visitors center I began to wonder if we had gotten off on the wrong trail or if it was 3.

4 miles each way. After all there was at least one other trail that split off of this one but I did not know where it went or how long it was and I knew it was taking us too long to reach the visitor center. So we decided to turn around and go back.

I was a bit worried we would not get back in time for my husband to get off from work and he would be mad. After all we decided to do this hike on a whim and were not really prepared. On

the way back I noticed a marker for the trail and realized that we had gotten off on another trail some how.

I guess it is a good thing we back tracked or we could have gotten lost. We were lucky that we made it back without something else going wrong. On the last leg of the trail we saw two squirrels sitting on a log eating nuts.

In the distance I could see the parking lot and our car I was actually kind of relieved to be back. I learned that it was foolish to hike without a map of the trails because as I am finding out several of the trails are not marked very well.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381301279250531/k2311a0113/1.13.08