Raleigh NC  » Travel  »
North Carolina
  • Unfortunately the first time I saw it was shortly after hurricane Fran had devastated it
  • This was the first time I had ever helped with clean up after a hurricane so it was a great learning experience for me
  • I know I would probably have never seen as many things if it were not for the reason we were there

• by sadonna

Raleigh, North Carolina can be a pretty city to visit. Unfortunately the first time I saw it was shortly after hurricane Fran had devastated it. I was one of twelve soldiers that volunteered from the 505th engineer unit that to be deployed at first to assist with the clean up. I stayed at a national guard post that was close to the fair grounds because I was the only woman on this work detail.

The guys stayed in a small building on the fair grounds. Every day for two weeks we worked with the street maintenance department cutting trees out of the roads and off power lines so traffic could get through and the city could get the electricity restored quickly. This was the first time I had ever helped with clean up

after a hurricane so it was a great learning experience for me.

The street maintenance department for Raleigh really earned my respect when I worked with them and saw how hard their job was. They were extremely organized and worked efficiently to get the job done in a timely manner. It was because of the street maintenance department that our unit finally got some decent chain saws to work with.

You see when we went there for clean up we only had two 16 inch chainsaws for our entire company. We were trying to cut up trees that were large enough to cover up five cars under the branches so they finally got us a couple of 24 inch steel chainsaws to work with to speed up the process. I also saw how bad ...

• the bureaucracy of our government mishandles situations.

Three days after I was sent with my crew to Raleigh they called up our entire battalion. Which meant we had five thousand soldiers sitting in Raleigh to do clean up. They never really got much done with that many soldiers because they had to much red tape to go through to make a decision as to where they were needed the most.

They had to house all of the additional soldiers in the exhibit hall. I never realized how big the exhibit hall really was until I saw five thousand army cots lined up in rows from wall to wall. It’s hard to believe how much different the fair grounds looks when they are hosting a fair rather than when it is being used as a planning

station for a natural disaster.

I got to ride around a lot of side streets in Raleigh during the time I was there and see some of the older houses which look very unique. I know I would probably have never seen as many things if it were not for the reason we were there. Most of the time we don’t venture off the main streets when we visit a place.

I’m here to tell you that you should check out the other side of town because you don’t know what you’re missing out on. There are a variety of small business that are quite nice and the owners are terrific. It’s sort of like missing the smell of the roses because you never stop to smell them because we just pass them by.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381301279220531/k2311a0113/1.13.08