The Secret of the Growing Gold by Bram Stoker  » Books  »
  • However, once I did read it throughout, I found it was actually a pretty creepy story
  • His only problem is her hair keeps growing out from between the stones
  • And, I like the description Stoker gives of each and every event
  • If I wouldn't have forced myself to get through the long and sometimes boring introduction, I might have missed a good tale

• by Steve

The first time I read Bram Stoker’s short story The Secret of the Growing Gold, I stopped halfway through because it was confusing me. I had expected a tale of horror and I was instead getting a tale of scandal.

However, once I did read it throughout, I found it was actually a pretty creepy story.

The

Secret of the Growing Gold reminds me of Edgar Allan Poe’s Tell-tale heart. You have a man who kills his wife (or a woman people believe he married, the story never tells you for sure) and, when he finds out she isn’t really dead, murders her again and buries her behind the wall of one ...

• of his rooms. His only problem is her hair keeps growing out from between the stones.

Considering he had re-married, I was intrigued by this because I had to wonder exactly how he was going to keep the secret from his new wife. And, I like the description Stoker gives of each and every event. Without

seeing the room, I feel like I’m standing in there with him watching the hair grow.

My only real complaint is it takes Stoker a bit too long to get into the brutal details of the story. If I wouldn’t have forced myself to get through the long and sometimes boring introduction, I might have missed a good tale.

lhyn says :

characterization? summary?

Taher Ahmadi says :

re : If I wouldn’t have forced myself to get through the long and sometimes boring introduction, I might have missed a good tale
    The main weakness of this short story is not only in its boring and lengthy introduction, but in having four disconnected undeveloped subjects:
    The quarrel between brother and sister, unfortunate romance of the woman and Geoffrey, the would be revenge of the brother, and the growing golden hair of the murdered woman.
    Furthermore its closing is too simple and is written a little idly.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171301278920431/k2311a0113/1.13.08