The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani  » Music  »
2.5
  • I'm from the camp that enjoyed Gwen's pink hair days (even though, yes, it signified a troubled rift between her and then-boyfriend Gavin Rossdale)

• by CoilyJones22

I was/am a big No Doubt fan. I’m from the camp that enjoyed Gwen’s pink hair days (even though, yes, it signified a troubled rift between her and then-boyfriend Gavin Rossdale). “Return of Saturn” is my favorite album of theirs and I play it when I’m feeling especially nostalgic… which I find is happening more

and more as Ms. Stefani expands on her solo career.

The L.A.M.B album was… interesting. She had some very cool singles on it (and some very annoying ones as well… at least school kids everywhere learned to spell “bananas” properly). I hoped No Doubt would reunite and stage dive at the general public with a strong ...

• ska comeback in 2006. Instead, Gwen released “The Sweet Escape” and broke out the blindingly-platinum strands and refined ghetto-fab look to go with it (see “The Sweet Escape” album cover).

For the most part I didn’t really enjoy the tracks on “The Sweet Escape”. Gwen seems to be chasing a style that isn’t quite meant for

her. A neck-rolling club chick who can rap (?) and keep in pace with Pharell’s own chameleon like ways. While there are some real gems thrown into this ear-grating mix (Flourescent, Wonderful life, The Sweet Escape and 4 in the Morning), the album lacks the golden charm and effortless cool that her No Doubt albums had.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141201278560731/k2311a0112/1.12.08