Melatonin for Insomnia  » Medicine  »
  • If you suffer from insomnia, I would suggest you ask your doctor about melatonin

• by Sunnflr

I have suffered from insomnia for years. At first the doctor tried me on Ambien 20 mg. I slept for 18 hours straight. The only reason I woke up that soon was because my husband got scared I’d been asleep so long and woke me. Then, the doctor said half the dose. That time I slept for 14 hours. We decided that medication was too strong for me. I have adverse reactions to a lot of medications anyway.

Then I tried Tylenol

PM. It made my blood pressure go up. So, that didn’t help me sleep any. Plus, taking too much Tylenol is bad for your liver. Since I have diabetes I don’t need to take anything much that hurts the organs. I was already taking metformin for diabetes which puts strain on the liver, so didn’t need to add the Tylenol PM much anyway.

For a while then I didn’t take anything. Just didn’t hardly sleep. Then the doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. One of the things a lot of fibro patients have in common is not producing enough melatonin. Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone. You body produces it when you sleep. Because people with fibromyalgia don’t get into REM sleep as well as others, and they are up and down all night turning lights on, they don’t produce enough melatonin. One of the things melatonin does it help you sleep. It’s one of the things that makes you drowsy and ready to ...

• Melatonin for Insomnia
      go to sleep.

Another good thing about melatonin is that it’s an antioxidant. There has been some studies showing that it helps with Parkinson’s disease, fights cancer, and helps the overall immune system.

So, the doctor suggested that I try melatonin. You can buy it over the counter in the vitamin section. I got some and tried it and it really worked. I slept through the night and wasn’t drowsy the next morning. It says to take it for a few

months and then take a week off. I have been on it for about 2 years now. I will say that it doesn’t work as good some nights as others. I don’t know the reason for this. Probably because some nights I’m in more pain than others, or more stressed. So, I “fight” the medication.

If you suffer from insomnia, I would suggest you ask your doctor about melatonin. I have had absolutely no side effects from this medication/supplement.

Just my take on melatonin.

Shaiye says :

I want to take melatonin for the times when I have enough time to nap for a couple of hours but definately can`t commit to a full nights sleep. Are you able to tell me if taking melatonin might make it difficult for me to wake up before a certain amount of sleep?

Steveo says :

I tried melatonin and it did make me really tired but I don’t think it would make it hard for you to wake up. I would take it before going to bed not before a nap.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261201278550631/k2311a0112/1.12.08