Stephen King’s The Mist  » Movies  »
  • This is one of the most recent of the Stephen King adaptations to hit the big screens, but I have to say that it isn't one of the best
  • Stephen King certainly has a talent with this, and it plays somewhat well on the big screen, but I don't think it works quite as well as the director was hoping

• by James Scribner

This is one of the most recent of the Stephen King adaptations to hit the big screens, but I have to say that it isn’t one of the best. 1408 was one of the scariest movies I have seen in quite some time, but the Mist just didn’t feel as compelling to me.

It had its moments of chills, and a very memorable ending, but it just didn’t quite live up to what I was hoping from the film.

In this one we get to see one of Stephen King’s (and many writers) favorite devices: lock up a bunch of people from a small town into an ...

• enclosed space and study their interactions as they face some major obstacle. In this case it is the Mist that is keeping them all trapped in a grocery store. Stephen King certainly has a talent with this, and it plays somewhat well on the big screen, but I don’t think it works
        quite as well as the director was hoping. Part of this is the woodenness of the star, compounded by the stereotypicalness of much of the other characters and the interaction.

The movie has its scares, that is for sure, especially towards the end. However, all in all I just didn’t find the film entirely satisfying.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111101277840631/k2311a0111/1.11.08