Agent X #1  » Books  »
  • In fact, when I had pretty much stopped buying any Marvel comics titles altogether, I still went down to my local comic shop every month just to buy the newest issue of Deadpool
  • Say what you want about the Merc with the Mouth, but I think he is still one of the best characters ever to come out of the old Marvel line

• by Simon Ryder

I don’t know why but I have always had a soft spot for Deadpool. In fact, when I had pretty much stopped buying any Marvel comics titles altogether, I still went down to my local comic shop every month just to buy the newest issue of Deadpool. Say what you want about the Merc with the Mouth, but I think he is still

one of the best characters ever to come out of the old Marvel line.

Anyhoo, a few years ago, Marvel decided to change everything around. After several months of one Frank Tieri helming Deadpool (a hack writer who shouldn’t be near any comic books, let alone Deadpool), Deadpool had finally gotten a decent writer again: Gail Simone. In only a couple of months on ...

• the book she had already turned it around and everything seemed to be going great for Wade Wilson.

Then some bigwig up at Marvel Headquarters decided, “Hey, why don’t we kill off Deadpool and replace him with a new character that may or may not be him but has a different costume and is now called Agent X?”

To make a long story short, Agent X sucked.

Sure it had the same writer but it just wasn’t the same. I still ended up buying later issues, but there was a whole lot of disappointment here in #1. I mean, if they had just done it as a spin-off title I probably wouldn’t have minded it too much. It wasn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination, it just wasn’t Deadpool.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171101277610631/k2311a0111/1.11.08