The Hedge Knight (Graphic Novel)  » Books  »
  • It is, in fact, one of the best comic books I have read in a very long time

• by Simon Ryder

I am a big fan of the writings of George R.R. Martin, particularly his Song of Ice and Fire series. I have been reading the series ever since A Game of Thrones came out years ago. That being said, I have never read his short story, “The Hedge Knight,” which was included in a special anthology of Fantasy fiction a few years ago.

When

I came across a copy of the graphic novelization of “The Hedge Knight,” however, I immediately picked it up, expecting it to be good. I was not disappointed. It is, in fact, one of the best comic books I have read in a very long time. The story is fairly simple but the plot advances in a typical Martin fashion, and the ...

• adaption work done in this graphic novel is spot on. It truly felt like reading Martin’s story for the first time.

Being a comic book, it is not just the story that matters but the art, and here The Hedge Knight excels. Considering the depth and number of characters one finds in any Martin story, artwork is going to be very important in being

able to understand the action and keep all of the characters straight in your head. The artist does a superb job, and all I have to say is that the Hedge Knight is an excellent comic book. If you are a fan of comic books or a fan of Martin’s work, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of this.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171101277280531/k2311a0111/1.11.08