Fix-it and Forget-it Cookbook  » Recipes  »
  • If you have a slow cooker, I would strongly recommend getting the Fix-it and Forget-it Cookbook (Feasting with your Slow Cooker)
  • I haven't had much experience with slow cookers or with any cooking at all, really, since I have only recently moved away from my parents, but I think I will do just fine using this cookbook as my aid

• by Heather

If you have a slow cooker, I would strongly recommend getting the Fix-it and Forget-it Cookbook (Feasting with your Slow Cooker). It was compiled by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good. There are recipes for appetizers, breakfast foods, breads, soups and chilis, main dishes, bean main dishes, vegetables, desserts and even beverages. They are conveniently separated by those categories and laid out nicely in the table of contents.

The recipes were sent in by people from across the country, and there are

quite a few varieties of many different types of dishes. For instance, let’s say you wanted to make chili. In the “soups, stews, and chilis” section of the cookbook, there are about 10 different recipes you could pick from for chili. In most cookbooks that I have seen, there is one recipe, if even that for each type of dish. Some recipes even give a variation of the recipe at the bottom, so you can try that given recipe in two ...

• ways. Another nice thing about the cookbook is that there are little tips given throughout the pages of the book for different recipes and for general slow-cooker usage.

One thing some people may not like about this cookbook is that there are no pictures of the food given. The recipes are listed in standard black-and-white print, and there are no colors in the book. There are little illustrations of some things. I don’t mind this because it is obvious that the recipes

are sent in from real people, and they are not generic. I’d rather have something that has been tested by real people in their homes than something that is perfect and can have perfect pictures taken of it.

I haven’t had much experience with slow cookers or with any cooking at all, really, since I have only recently moved away from my parents, but I think I will do just fine using this cookbook as my aid. I wish all store bought cookbooks were this efficient.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 49901275300831/k2311a019/1.9.08