Men In Black  » Movies  »
  • At that time, I thought it was another one of the mediocre detective suspense, but high budgeted and heavily cast movies
  • But at least I know that they are great actors as I had been hearing
  • There is no doubt I enjoyed watching this movie but there is a scene I noticed that I think, the director and the writer overlooked

• by clowdine

I am totally fascinated about this movie. That may be because prior to watching, I never had any idea what this was all about. And that turned out to be everything I have never imagined that I would be seeing in this movie. I may have caught a glimpse of the trailer, but what I only saw was the part when Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones stand by each other, wearing sunglasses. And that’s it. At that time, I thought it was another one of the mediocre detective suspense, but high budgeted and heavily cast movies. Honestly, the first time I’ve ever watched a Will Smith movie (or that of Tommy Lee Jones, either way), was that time. I never knew what sorts of movie themes they usually are known for. But at least I know that they are great actors as I had been hearing. Eversince, I saw them together in

this movie, I started to like them both. I liked their combination. A dead serious reputable but ageing agent (played by Tommy Lee Jones) who has been through a lot in the MIB force who finds his new recruit to replace him when he retires (and that happens at the end of the movie) and a young, energetic, assertive (but his assertiveness makes him look cute in the eyes of agent K) and most of all, he is a good cop (played by Will Smith). I’ve never thought Will Smith would be that funny. He is really good at comedy.

I admire the creativity and vividness of the imagination of Lowell Cunningham who wrote the story into a comic book and eventually turned by Ed Solomon into a screenplay.

Another good thing, they made the right choice for the director, Barry Sonnenfeld. I was so amazed by the introduction of new alien life forms like Mikey’s. If you don’t recall who Mikey is, what about the one with flippers all over and the first to be blown up into vapors and entrails by the MIB team because he tries to kill a human cop? That goes in the first part of the movie. The wacky group of coffee drinking worms who are able to talk with agent J (Smith) and agent K (Jones) like happy-go-lucky by-standers are also an amusement in this movie. I also remember the punk that NYPD agent James Edwards who would later become agent J of the MIB (Smith) blinks his eyes and who runs high speed and exceedingly agile. I was really laughing in that scene because the equally agile, smart but at the same time na’ve police officer Edwards tries to persuade the stressed cephalophoid to stay away from the ledge so he won’t fall and he even told him that he will have those eyes (blinking in a horizontal way) ...

• Men In Black
      fixed. It was even funnier because J follows it through with a very concerned scream when the man deliberately jumps from that high rise building. The dog that talks like a human added to the humor in that film besides the sociable worms. Although I was so sorry about the small guys the Arqiuillian prince (under the disguise of an old jeweller Mr. Rosenberg) and his escort (who die in this movie after the pretended waiter, the villainous bug and enemy of the Arquillians smites them), this has been another ‘feel good’ movie to me because in the end, they defeated the bug (Vincent D’ Onofrio) which is the sole villain in this movie, or at least the only one representing his kind. There is no doubt I enjoyed watching this movie but there is a scene I noticed that I think, the director and the writer overlooked. That is when agent J and agent K went to the
      morgue to check the corpses of Rosenberg and Escort (who are indeed Arquillians). If they (MIB) are really that careful about preventing the non-MIB people to remember the encounter with the aliens, why do they leave Dr. Weaver (after exposing her to the neuralizer, or the device that erases the memory that may cover the time of alien encounters or learning about the MIB activities) with the dead Rosenberg without fixing up the opened mechanical face of the decoy who exposes the dead Arquillian prince? By inference, the doctor will still see what they have been trying to hide from her when she recovers. They just left quickly and they also failed to erase the recording which Dr. Weaver started before they came as she describes therein the unusual things about the two dead bodies she just examined.

But having said that, it does not make this movie ugly. I still like it even they missed to smarten up that part.

Men In Black

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11801272980331/k2311a018/1.8.08