Strange Encounters at Denny’s  » Other  »
Coquitlam, BC Canada
  • But, being the health nut that I am, I found few if not anything at all that appealed to my preference
  • It was here that we got to run into some interesting characters

• by Dontec
      While I was visiting with my mom, in Canada, I was surprised to find, that when it came to 24 hour food service, there was only one place to go if you got hunger pangs like at 3am. That place was called Denny’s a typical western diner that serves the usual steaks, burgers, pancakes, chicken wings, hash browns, coffee, teas and shakes. Of course they have ice cream and fresh fries. But, being the health nut that I am, I found few if not anything at all that appealed to my preference.

They only had one kind of supposedly garden fresh salad, but even that was nothing to get excited about. I could not help but ask “is there anything here that (pertaining to food of course) has no grease?” I could not complain about the price though, as they were much cheaper than other places I’ve been to. The portions

were more than generous and the ambience was cozy.

However eating out as such an ungodly hour would certainly increase your chances of encountering “ungodly characters” which we did on several occasions. Luckily however, I have never been to Denny’s alone God forbid! If I end up at Denny’s it’s because I was out to pick up my mom at a friend’s house where they got together for their usual game of “mah jong” and my cousin who is another insomniac is usually with us. This particular branch of Denny’s was in a City Called Coquitlam and it was near Costco.

It was here that we got to run into some interesting characters. There was a time that a trio of prostitutes came in for a bite. All garbed in black and frilly garments, they came in uncaringly but not loud and obnoxious.

It was close to winter time already and ...

• I could only imagine the cold they have to bear being clad in such skimpy apparel. My heart sagged seeing that they were fairly healthy, strong and able women whom I’m sure could get a decent job somewhere. At another time there was this group of rowdy “rednecks” as they were called who were loud, obnoxious and one of them had so many tattoos and piercing on his body that you could not begin to count the number of holes much less the number of earrings and ornaments that dangled from his semi-mangled body.

On another occasion, a foursome of teenagers where egging each other, playing with the salt shaker, daring the other to drop his pants and display his butt. As the waitress asked them to leave two police officers came in fro a bite and not a moment too soon. The group scurried out so as not

to attract further attention.

Apparently according to my cousin who has more than his fair share of eating at Denny’s, the weirdest character they encountered was a man who walked in butt naked and asked for a cup of coffee. My cousin failed to tell me what the weather was like at that time. My guess is, it must’ve been too hot during the day but when it got cold at night the man opted to warm up with some coffee instead of going to the trouble of putting on some clothes.

We can’t help but go back to Denny’s from time to time since it’s the only place open during the wee hours of the morning but it must be said that the waitress there during that shift is a very nice lady. Since we are frequent customers our second cup of coffee or hot chocolate is usually on the house.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 124092650230/k2311a094/9.4.05