Acer Travelmate C314Xmi  » Laptops  »
  • I think by far, it is the most versatile laptop I've ever owned
  • There are no fancy buttons on the system to cut it on and off (I like that -- one less thing that could break)
  • The system has the best handwriting recognition that I've ever used
  • Of course, with any laptop, you're going to have a problem that's a BIG killer of computers

• by dafyre

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I’ve had an Acer TravelMate C314Xmi for coming up on two years now. I think by far, it is the most versatile laptop I’ve ever owned!

The laptop specs are as follows:

Intel Centrino 2.0 gHz

1GB Ram

Nvidia 6200 Go (128MB Dedicated Video Memory)

100 GB Hard Drive

DVD-Super Multi DL DVD Burner.

15″ Screen (1024×768 res)

Intel 2200 801.llb/g Wirelesss

I’ve run a variety of Operating Systems (Windows, varying Linux distros, and yes, even Mac OS just because I could try it) on this beauty, and it has handled every one of them exceptionally well!

Hardware wise, this laptop has never given me a moment’s trouble. I’ve been able to format it and reload it several times (those that know me, know that I reformat this poor thing about as often

as I take a shower…for those that don’t, about every 3 months) a year. The Primary OS on it, Windows XP Tablet edition is not much different than your run-of-the-mill XP.

This laptop is a convertible (unfortunatley, not the car). The screen swivels around and latches down so that you can write on it like a sheet of paper. The Windows Journal software (that ships with the Tablet Edition) works very well, and you can even ‘Print’ other documents (anything, really) into a journal note document.

One of the nice features of this laptop is the 802.11b/g Wireless card. It is nice and snappy, and works very well. There are no fancy buttons on the system to cut it on and off (I like ...

• that — one less thing that could break)! I rarely have problems getting signals when I am close to an access point or somebody else’s wireless. If I do, the occasional reboot will clear that up (Hey — it’s Windows!).

The system has the best handwriting recognition that I’ve ever used. I have terrible handwriting as is, and it’s nice to see my laptop convert my chicken scratch into legible, typed print.

Of course, with any laptop, you’re going to have a problem that’s a BIG killer of computers: Heat. The TravelMate C310 series (mine included), as far as I know has a problem with the laptop getting dangerously hot when it’s plugged in to the AC Outlet. I have on more

than one occasion had the laptop just shut itself off while I was running under Linux. I never had this problem with Windows. Another thing that scares me is how how the AC adapter gets when it is charging the laptop.

Aside from the heat problems, the Acer TravelMate C314Xmi is an excellent laptop for the casual gamer on the go, or the guy who likes to watch movies over lunch / while waiting on a bus,train,or plane. Or even the Business executive who needs a powerful machine to develop software, or just for a presentation. This laptop has it all! Speed, Power, and Mobility!

I look forward to my next Acer Products!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632712264671231/k2311a1227/12.27.07