Tandem Language School  » Education  »
100, Rda. de St Antoni, Barcelona
  • In fact, as value for money goes visiting Spain to do a language course is a very cost effective holiday
  • As they all thought global warming was a big issue and had no idea that Nelson Mandela started his political career as a terrorist we had some interesting discussions

• by gtc

This summer I finally made the decision that I needed to formalise my knowledge of Spanish with some actual lessons. I scoured the internet and landed in Barcelona at the Tandem school of languages situated on the second floor on the Rda de St Antoni close to the university. The lift was being repaired - it wasn’t so much the stairs that bothered me but the fact that the lift doors would open on all floors so that the unsuspecting student could have stepped into the abyss. One of the things most endearing about spain is the national disregard for health and safety issues - their watchword has to be ‘keep your eyes open and look after yourself, ‘cos no one else will!’

Lessons in Barcelona were less expensive for some reason that those in other Spanish cities. In fact, as value

for money goes visiting Spain to do a language course is a very cost effective holiday. The two week course costs 350 or so Euros and accommodation booked through the school another 220 Euros. So, then for �400 or so I get a fortnight in Barcelona and improve my Spanish. Great deal!

I arrived at the accommodation which was at a shared flat close to the Mercadi de St Antoni. The flat was on the first floor and had all the basics. My room had bed, wardrobe and desk (in case I actually wanted to study), there was a shared kitchen and shower. Two other students were in residence as well as the owner. She was a delightful English lady with a home counties accent which she also used when speaking Spanish. She also provided laundry facilities. The block upon which the flat ...

• was situated had everything you might need, bars, cafes, supermarkets, restaurants, butchers, cheese shops, electrical goods, grocers. It was also within easy walking distance of the school.

The course I selected was for the basic 10 hours plus 5 one to one sessions. Lessons are 45 minutes and are usually double sessions, so 2 sessions every morning and the one to ones in the afternoon. The entrance test placed me in an appropriate group. All told I had four teachers, three of whom were very good. The fourth was late to arrive, tried to finish early and wasn�t particularly interested in the job at hand. The other three were excellent. It turns out that they were permanent employees and the other guy was a temp bought in for the summer. My one to one tutor Barbara was really good. She spotted that what

I needed was to thoroughly understand the three main past tenses and worked me hard till I got it.

All in all I got exactly what I wanted from the course. I am now a less fluid but grammatically more accurate speaker of Spanish. I was the oldest student, most of the others being between 19 and 24. As they all thought global warming was a big issue and had no idea that Nelson Mandela started his political career as a terrorist we had some interesting discussions.

At the end of the course I was presented with a certificate, but more than that I have been inspired to read more and to listen to Spanish radio and podcasts to up my fluency. I have already booked for next year and am blessed with a 10% reduction in course fees as a returning student

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 502412264240931/k2311a1224/12.24.07