Sci Fi’s Tin Man  » TV  »
  • Robertson also seems to have problems walking in those tight dresses she wears

• by Steve

Unlike many Americans, I’m not obsessed with television. At least not to the point where I will plan my life around it; with the exception of Green Bay Packers games.

This week, I discovered a mini-series that actually has me clearing my schedule.

When I saw the previews for the Sci Fi channel’s mini-series Tin Man, I didn’t think it would be a show I would be interested in. Like most people, I’ve seen the Wizard of Oz. I’ve also seen several re-makes and have even read the book. So, I figured it wasn’t

going to be anything different.

I was wrong.

Rather than stick with the original story line and have different actors, Sci Fi has stretched the story into something much more complex and very dark.

Instead of being a place full of color and beauty, OZ (referred to in the movie as The Outer Zone or O. Z.) is full of fear and death and ruled by a beautiful but evil sorceress.

The Tin Man isn�t made out of tin; he�s a former law enforcement officer who carries a tin badge. Instead of a scarecrow, you have a former advisor to the deposed queen who has had part of his brain removed. And the lion is a creature with psychic powers; able to read minds and see the past and future.

Dorothy (called DG in this movie) is also different. Rather than being a na�ve young girl, she’s a street-smart 20-year-old who does what she wants regardless of the advice being given to her. The Wizard is a performer and ‘vapor’ addict. And, Toto is a magic tutor with the ability to change into a dog. It�s like ...

• Sci Fi's Tin Man
      the Wizard of Oz met the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

The differences in this show are what make it special. I find myself watching it because I want to know what happens next. For the first time in a while, I don�t have a clue how the adventure will end.

If there�s any weakness in this movie, it’s in the actors themselves. Zooey Deschanel, who plays DG, has the edgy part down pat but seems to struggle when it comes to scenes that require her to show more emotion. And

Kathleen Robertson, who plays the sorceress Azkadellia isn�t very consistent in her portrayal; though I have to admit I’m now wondering if the writers meant for her to be like that. Robertson also seems to have problems walking in those tight dresses she wears.

But, when it comes to shows on television, I have a hard time thinking of something better than this one. And, I wouldn�t be surprised to see this mini-series spin off to become a weekly program. If that�s the case, you can be sure I�ll be watching.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102312263390331/k2311a1223/12.23.07