Kitty Food  » Pets  »
2.5
  • For the most part, I avoid giving my pets cheap food
  • Wal-Mart's Special Kitty cat food is definitely on the low end of the food-quality spectrum
  • After the cats eat Special Kitty, I notice that they tend to drink less water than they do when they've been on their dry food
  • I would not recommend feeding this to your cats without supplementary food

• by Sarah81

For the most part, I avoid giving my pets cheap food. Wal-Mart’s “Special Kitty” cat food is definitely on the low end of the food-quality spectrum. This store brand is not the most nutritionally complete. I would not, in fact, feed this on a regular basis. Rather, I would give the cats something that contains fewer fillers and more nutrients. Fancy Feast comes to mind. So does Nine Lives.

But if you’re a cat person, you understand what I mean when I say that the fur balls are the ones who dictate their dietary choices. The cats in my house all turn up their little pink or black noses at other wet foods. No. Really. They’ve been offered Fancy Feast. They’ve been offered Nine Lives. My four-footed buddies could bleed

my bank account every month by insisting on eating these pricier foods.

That, however, does not happen. These cats insist on Special Kitty wet food. I don’t know why, exactly, but I give them what they want. Otherwise, they maim me while I’m asleep.

Special Kitty food comes in several varieties. My local Wal-Mart stocks tuna, beef and liver and something called “super supper.” Of these three varieties, the cats around here prefer the beef and liver. I suspect that this is because the stench wafting from this can is the strongest of them all. The worse a flavor smells, the more these cats like it - or so it seems, anyway.

One nice thing about this brand is the pull tab. I don’t have to dig for a can opener at ...

• dinner time. If you’ve ever had all of your cats crowd around your legs and dart between your ankles while you’re trying to open their can of food, you’ll appreciate the pull tab. It takes just a second to open the can, which makes life a lot easier.

Another advantage that Special Kitty has over other cheap foods is its moisture level. The food actually comes out of the can without much prompting. When I feed my cats other stores’ brands, I usually have to scoop out the muck with a spoon. Special Kitty will, when I tap the can against the food dish, slide right out.

After the cats eat Special Kitty, I notice that they tend to drink less water than they do when they’ve been on their

dry food. This is something that you would expect when you give your cats wet food. But with some other, cheap brands, the cats have consumed as much water as they do when they eat dry food. That’s probably because other low-end canned foods barely qualify as wet food.

All of my fur babies inhale this food, which is what really matters. I would not recommend feeding this to your cats without supplementary food. I feed this wet food to my cats as a special treat. Most of the time, they have a good brand of dry food.

Ultimately, Special Kitty is fine if your cats will eat the stuff. I pay a little over a dollar for three large cans, which is a fairly good price in my region.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292312263370331/k2311a1223/12.23.07