Samsung Blackjack
  • This device is definitely one that you should consider if you're looking for a phone that works more like a PDA than a cell phone
  • The only problem is that, as of right now, this software does not work well with Windows Vista

• by Sarah81

I managed to get a Samsung Blackjack for a very good price because my provider was running a promotion. That good deal was the only reason that I picked this phone. I was in the market for a basic, affordable phone - not something with all the extra features that the Blackjack boasts.

But now that I’ve used the phone for a few months, I’m glad that I have it. Samsung did a good job with the Blackjack. This device is definitely one that you should consider if you’re looking for a phone that works more like a PDA than a cell phone.

The big difference between the Blackjack and many other cell phones is its size. It’s the same thickness, but wider. That’s because the phone has a full keyboard built right into the front face. You don’t have to flip, fold or otherwise manipulate the device to expose this keyboard.

Another nice feature is the large, full-color screen. If you want to look at Web sites with your Blackjack, you can do just that - without squinting. And when you want to

look at photos, this phone’s screen displays them with remarkable clarity. You can actually tell what you’re looking at, which was not the case with the flip phone that I ditched for this model.

Microsoft haters will not appreciate the fact that this phone is based on a Windows operating system. That would explain why I occasionally have problems with lagging and freezing. But these infrequent problems are always fixed by power-cycling the phone (turning it off, then on again).

This phone has all of the standard features that we’ve all come to expect from cell phones. You have a calendar and the ability to put up custom wallpaper (including one of the photos that you take with the built-in camera). There’s more than one alarm clock, which is very nice because I have to be awake at one time on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a different time on Mondays and Wednesdays. The phone is capable of handling MP3 files - and playing them through the phone’s speaker. You don’t have to have headphones to enjoy your music. The speaker quality isn’t bad, either.

• It’s never going to beat my surround-sound system, but it’s better than I would expect from a cell phone.

The built-in camera takes surprisingly-good photos. The quality is better than you get on most flip phones. And this phone has plenty of storage space for these photos as well as music, ring tones and games.

Battery life is good when I remember to keep the phone charged. The phone comes with two batteries: one “regular” and one “extended.” I put in the extended battery. This makes my phone thicker, but I don’t mind. The Blackjack came with a special battery cover just for this particular battery. When or if I switch to the other battery, I have a cover that fits it perfectly.

I also like being able to use Microsoft ActiveSync with my PC to load ring tones. I create my own ring tones, which is cheaper than buying them through my provider. The phone came with a transfer cable and software installation CD, so I was ready to start transferring just a few minutes after I opened up the box.

The only problem is

that, as of right now, this software does not work well with Windows Vista. I had a lot of problems with my Mom’s Vista-based PC. There’s a solution, but it’s sort of a pain in the neck. I just loaded the software on my XP-based PC.

As for telephone calls: the Blackjack does that well, too. The only time that I ever have problems with reception or signal is when I’m outside of my provider’s coverage area. There’s a dead cell zone in my community: everybody’s phone dies in that area. I can’t blame the Blackjack for not working in an area where nobody’s phone works (regardless of which carrier we’re on).

Overall, the Blackjack is worth having. I would definitely add insurance coverage to the plan, though, because this can be an expensive phone to repair or replace if something goes wrong. I would also do something to protect the screen. Because this model’s screen is large and constantly exposed, it’s easy to scratch or mar the surface. I invested a few bucks in a protector that’s already scratched up, so I made a good investment.

Samsung Blackjack

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 372312263300331/k2311a1223/12.23.07