Jimmy Dean Griddle Sandwiches  » Food  »
  • The McGriddle is a fast, convenient breakfast food that I can buy via the drive-thru window on my way to school every morning
  • Last week, I noticed that Jimmy Dean - that wonderful company best known for pork sausage - sells the same thing
  • I paid a little over five bucks for a box of six Griddle Cake Sandwiches
  • But after I brought them home and ate my first one, I found even more things to like about this food
  • And even though I like well-cooked sausage, the piece in each sandwich tastes great to me

• by Sarah81

Not long after McDonald’s introduced their McGriddles breakfast sandwiches, I tried one - and have been hooked ever since. The McGriddle is a fast, convenient breakfast food that I can buy via the drive-thru window on my way to school every morning. And that food tastes so, so good. Mickey D’s basically stuffs your favorite breakfast foods - sausage or bacon, eggs, et cetera - between two pancakes and wraps up the resulting sandwich for you. Pure heaven.

Last week, I noticed that Jimmy Dean - that wonderful company best known for pork sausage - sells the same thing. I paid

a little over five bucks for a box of six Griddle Cake Sandwiches. That’s a good value because I pay more than one dollar for every McGriddle that I buy at McDonald’s. This better price per sandwich was what prompted me to try the Jimmy Dean version in the first place. But after I brought them home and ate my first one, I found even more things to like about this food.

Preparing the sandwich is a simple matter of pulling one out of the box (they’re all individually wrapped, incidentally), taking off the plastic, and wrapping the food in a paper towel. Microwave the wrapped sandwich for seventy seconds, then let the food cool down for a minute or so. The sandwich is still warm after that minute, but not so hot that it burns my mouth.

One thing that I really like about the Jimmy Dean version is the fact that each sandwich is significantly larger than a McDonald’s McGriddle. I pay less per sandwich for a larger amount of food. The Jimmy Dean sandwich isn’t quite twice the size of the McGriddle, but it’s close.

Actually: the sandwiches are so large that I sometimes have trouble eating my entire portion.

• Jimmy Dean Griddle Sandwiches
      Sometimes my dog gets the last bite or two because I just can’t finish that part. She’s not complaining about that, though: if it’s possible, my four-legged buddy loves this breakfast more than I do!

Even though I’m warming up a nice, big piece of pork sausage - between two maple-syrup-doused pancakes, at that - there’s not too much grease for my liking. The paper towel absorbs most of what little grease there is, so I’m happy.

As for taste: outstanding. The maple-syrup pancakes are just sweet enough to blend well with the pork sausage. And even though I like well-cooked sausage,

the piece in each sandwich tastes great to me. It’s fully cooked, and therefore safe, but it’s not quite as well done as my sausage is when I fry it myself.

These sandwiches are probably fatty. I’m sure that there’s too much sugar in each one, too. And if I had to wager, I would say that there are lots of calories in each one. But I’m not on a diet, so I don’t care. These sandwiches are almost as good as the pancakes and sausage on a stick - another Jimmy Dean product that I really, really love to eat.

ROSITA SINGLETON says :

I have been trying to find a store that I can buy these. I would be willing to order a case if that is possible. My son loves these and he lkes them so that he cam eat on the go. Please put me in contact with some one who will cell to a consumer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272012261140231/k2311a1220/12.20.07