Shrek the 3rd
2.5
  • And, I was disappointed to learn my earlier gut feeling was correct
  • But, it definitely pales in comparison to the first two
  • I think that�s why the movie was as short as it was
  • I know he looks a lot like Prince Charming
  • The best characters in the entire film were the little ogre babies

• by Steve

When I heard they were coming out with a third Shrek movie, my gut reaction was the producers were going too far and there was no way they could strike gold a third time. That�s why I avoided seeing it in the theater.

This past week, when it came out on DVD, I was quick to rent it. And, I was disappointed to learn my earlier gut feeling was correct.

The movie itself isn�t too bad and has plenty of funny moments in it. But, it definitely pales in comparison to the first two.

First, the plot was a bit too simple

compared to the first two movies. Shrek�s father-in-law dies and he doesn�t want to be king so he sets off to find Arty (King Arthur). In the mean time, Prince Charming stages a coup to overthrow the kingdom. Unlike the other two, which had twists and turns, there were none in this film. I think that�s why the movie was as short as it was.

It�s also the first Shrek movie without a karaoke party at the end. That really disappointed me since that was often the best part of the entire movie.

The movie also seemed to cut off subplots ...

• before they got started. For example, Donkey and Puss in Boots have their personalities switched. Yet, very little was made of that. Arty was abandoned by his father. However, the movie makes no effort to even hint at who his father was; something you would expect since he is an heir to the throne and somebody must know who his dad is. I know he looks a lot like Prince Charming.

The best characters in the entire film were the little ogre babies. And, they only had a couple minutes toward the end; unless you count Shrek�s nightmare about being

a father. Even the dronkeys (a cross between dragons and donkeys) didn�t have much more than a cameo.

If there was anything that saves this movie, it would have to be the portrayal of the King Arthur Legend. Arty, in this film, isn�t a tough guy but is very diplomatic. Lancelot is portrayed as a bully and Merlin seems senile.

At this point, I am hoping this will be the last Shrek film ever made. It was nothing more than a half-hearted attempt to make some extra money and I can only imagine how little effort would be put into a fourth film.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111712258740631/k2311a1217/12.17.07