Grammar Guide - Woe Is I!  » Books  »
  • Even though she has advanced degrees and years of writing and editing experience, she realizes that many of her readers are people who need help
  • This book is fun and funny, informative and enlightening, and definitely not a grammar guide that you're likely to forget anytime soon

• by Sarah81

I’m an English major and part-time Grammar Nazi, but I can’t possibly know everything about grammar. The English language is, to be blunt, terrifyingly messed up. More than half of our words come from Latin, but the rest are a hodgepodge assortment of bits and phrases from the rest of the known universe.

And if you think that word origins are tough, try figuring out the proper usage. One goose, two geese. One moose, two meese? Nope - that

would make sense, which can’t happen in the English language (not often, anyway).

Because I’m frequently frustrated by the oddities of English grammar, I picked up a copy of Patricia O’Connor’s “Woe Is I!” The hardback version is small enough to stay on my computer desk, which is perfect because I often look up troublesome phrases and words when I’m trying to write.

O’Connor does a very good job of presenting common problems in simple language. Even though she has advanced ...

• degrees and years of writing and editing experience, she realizes that many of her readers are people who need help. We don’t have time to sort out dry phrases, long-winded explanations, or other such niceties. We just want the correct answers to our questions. O’Connor offers brief explanations, which is ideal because I can remember the reasoning behind the rules.

Her humor-filled presentation also helps. With chapter titles like “Yours Truly: The Possessive and the Possessed” and “Death Sentence:

Do Cliches Deserve to Die?” you can’t help but smirk.

Despite being such a small book, “Woe Is I!” answers all of the most common questions about grammar. This book is fun and funny, informative and enlightening, and definitely not a grammar guide that you’re likely to forget anytime soon.

Whether you’re a grammar novice or an English major, you can learn something from this book. If you want to improve your writing (or speaking), “Woe Is I!” will definitely help you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171712258340531/k2311a1217/12.17.07