Hudsucker Proxy
  • I decided to give it a moment, check things out before surfing on to another channel
  • The flavor of the movie is what I enjoyed most
  • I won't say the outcome for those who haven't seen it yet and want to, but I thought that bit overtaxed the imagination just a little, and didn't really fit in with the context of the rest of the film

• by dennismoore2

I was not planning to watch this movie. Channel surfing brought me to the movie about ten or fifteen minutes into it. I decided to give it a moment, check things out before surfing on to another channel. But I stayed and watched the whole thing, and loved every minute of it.

The flavor of the movie is what I enjoyed most. It was done in the style of a 40s drama, with 90s set decoration, effects, and color. The

dialogue was quick and snappy and the characters just a touch over melodramatic, enough to be enjoyable. Those are the things that made me stick with this movie.

It centered upon Norville Barnes (Tim Robbins), a mailroom yokel from Ohio who seemed to not have stood in line in Heaven on Brain Day. He happens to be in the right place at the right time, and ends up being president of the company. Turns out the bigwigs of the company ...

• wanted a puppet idiot in the boss’ chair to reflect on the stock prices so the company could be sold.

But the bigwigs didn’t count on a couple of things. First, the dufus wasn’t such a dufus, and second, a pulitzer prize-winning reporter coming to mess things up (Amy Archer, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh), who actually falls in love with the big lug.

The only real flaw I see here is towards the end, when Norville jumps off the Hudsucker

Building. I won’t say the outcome for those who haven’t seen it yet and want to, but I thought that bit overtaxed the imagination just a little, and didn’t really fit in with the context of the rest of the film. I thoroughly enjoyed the sequences surrounding the hula hoop, which Norville created, especially when no one would buy it until one kid started using it. Then everyone had to have one. A perfect example of economics. A great movie with atmosphere.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111312256860331/k2311a1213/12.13.07