Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory  » Movies  »
  • I think he expected the other four kids to fail

• by dennismoore2

Another perennial favorite, like The Wizard of Oz, I eagerly looked forward to my yearly visit to my favorite chocolate factory. Returning each year were the five kids, each representing bad habits parents wish their kids wouldn’t develop: Augustus Gloop and his greediness and gluttony, Veruca Salt the selfish ‘I want it now’ snob, rude Violet Beauregarde, and Mike TeeVee, watches too much of it.

Only Charlie Bucket, the fifth kid, had the kid of personality everyone wishes their child had.

Kind, considerate, eager.

The story focuses on him.

Gene Wilder will forever be linked to his role as Willy Wonka.

But he will not meet his stride until he teams up with Mel Brooks in the 70s to become a household name.

Wilder portrays the eccentric chocolate maker with ...

• a unique blend of quaintness and imagination.

I never knew what to make of him.

What was he thinking? I think he expected the other four kids to fail.

At times, he seems almost prophetic and magical, while at other times he even seems taken by surprise by the antics of the kids.

My favorite parts, as I’m sure it is for others of my generation,

were the songs sung by the odd Oompa Loompas, those green-faced little people Wonka used for labor in his factory.

They had a song for each messed up kid and it was a delight to hear them.

As with Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins, the songs make this production most memorable and successful for me.

Unlike Mary Poppins, I do have the original soundtrack.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111312256830231/k2311a1213/12.13.07