Meatballs  » Movies  »
  • He still has his moments of absurdity, though, and I think his serious side is mainly when he is around the kids at the summer camp

• by dennismoore2

This movie was a perfect vehicle for Bill Murray, in the same sense as Caddyshack and What About Bob? Were. The only difference between those two films and Meatballs is that Meatballs had him in a more serious role, surrounded by goofballs who take up where Murray would have left off. He still has his moments of absurdity, though, and I think his serious side is mainly when he is around the kids at

the summer camp.

When he is with the adults, zaniness ensues.

This film is about confidence and fitting in.

We all have stories from our childhood where we feel left out, ridiculed by other groups of kids because we look or act different. Rudy, played by Chris Makepeace, is such a youth.

Not very gifted athletically, he blows it for the camp’s soccer game and is ready to leave camp back for home. Kind counselor ...

• Tripper Harrison, played by Bill Murray, convinces him to stay and throughout the summer spends time helping Rudy find himself.

In the end, Murray suggests Rudy take his place in the marathon race between their summer camp and a rival camp, competing for their version of the Summer Olympics. Rudy wins the race, the camp wins the competition, and it is certain Rudy will go on to find his place confidently in the world.

I

love movies like this. I call them �mentor� movies.

No one can succeed in this world on their own. Everyone needs a mentor to pass on world’s knowledge to the succeeding generations.

This is a feel-good movie. I felt good watching it then, and I feel good now, knowing that my youngest son and I bonded with this movie.

Meatballs has become �our� movie. Great fun, great supporting cast of oddballs.

You’ll love it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11512254130731/k2311a125/12.5.07