Dumbo  » Movies  »
  • It is the 'heart' of the film that I connect with, just like when I fell in love with my wife, and the same way that I love my kids
  • I know a lot of films, especially Disney films, are memorable due to songs
  • I think, though, that at the heart of this Disney classic, is the simple story of a child, humiliated by those around him because he is different, being scared and unable to receive the full comfort of his mother, turns to an inseparable friend who believes in him unconditionally and helps him find his confidence to succeed in life, that latches on to me

• by dennismoore2

As Ward Kimball, on of Disney’s long-time animators and one of the Nine Old Men said about Dumbo, it ‘had great simplicity and cartoon heart. ’ I think it is these two elements which talk to me whenever I see this movie.

Before hearing Kimball’s comment, I never thought of cartoons as having a heart.

But I suppose it is this ‘heart’ that connects me to the Disney films and animated features and, really, to all the films I’ve grown to love and cherish over the

years.

It is the ‘heart’ of the film that I connect with, just like when I fell in love with my wife, and the same way that I love my kids.

I connected with the heart.

So much went into so simple a film, that it is hard for me to point to any particularly memorable stand out moment.

But if I had to choose a couple, I would select the ‘Pink Elephants On Parade’ sequence first, for its artistry and imagination.

The second, would be ...

• the black crow sequence, with Cliff Edwards, the voice of Jiminy Cricket, singing ‘When I See An Elephant Fly.

’ As I write this, I noticed the two most memorable sequences centered around songs.

I don’t know if there is a reason for it, but perhaps the songs played a crucial role in the remembrance of these two sequences for me.

I know a lot of films, especially Disney films, are memorable due to songs.

I think, though, that at the heart of this Disney classic, is

the simple story of a child, humiliated by those around him because he is different, being scared and unable to receive the full comfort of his mother, turns to an inseparable friend who believes in him unconditionally and helps him find his confidence to succeed in life, that latches on to me.

To me, the fact that Dumbo can fly is synonymous to all of us ‘flying’ when we reach strides of success in our lives that help us overcome obstacles and soar to new heights.

Dumbo

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11512254100731/k2311a125/12.5.07