My French Whore: A Love Story by Gene Wilder  » Books  »
  • I enjoyed the book and was a little disappointed when it ended
  • I don't think it's a book that I would read over and over again, but I'm glad I checked it from the library and read it once

• by tfedge

I’ve always been a big fan of Gene Wilder: from his early role in “The Producers” and “Bonnie and Clyde” and his movies with Richard Pryor, culminating in “Silver Streak,” the movie that gave hope to ordinary people hoping to triumph over evil. Naturally I arranged to get “My French Whore: A Love Story” as soon as I heard about it.

The book is written in the first person and tells the story of Paul Peachy beginning with his decision that he and his wife weren’t living happily

together so he would only make both of them happy by giving her all of his money and joining the US Army effort in France. A series of circumstances changes Private Peachy’s life. First, since he speaks German, he is asked to interrogate a spy, Colonel Harry Stroller famous among German spies. Second, he is separated from his men and finds himself behind German lines and captured. Peachy, who has played in amateur theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, assumes the role of master spy Harry Stroller and lives among ...

• the Germans as a celebrity. He meets Annie, a French whore. At first she dresses and makers herself up like a whore, a turnoff for Private Peachy. Eventually both Peachy and Annie strip off their public personae and fall in love. “My French Whore” tells about their love.

“My French Whore” is a charming love story. It’s 177 pages and reads very quickly. A fast reader could probably read it in an hour without doing an injustice to the book. It’s a simple book and easy to read. I

enjoyed the book and was a little disappointed when it ended. I don’t think it’s a book that I would read over and over again, but I’m glad I checked it from the library and read it once. I supposed I’d call it a love story from a mans perspective. It certainly is not a romance novel in the sense of that modern genre, nor is it a woman’s love story in the same vein as something by Jane Austen.

I give the book a good solid B or 87%.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17911244940530/k2311a119/11.9.07