Trader Joe’s Market Bellingham WA
2410 James Street, Bellingham, WA
  • I know that sounds strange, but think about how many non-food items are available at your local market and you'll know what I mean
  • You will however find good, interesting and tasty food available at a discount for a reasonable price
  • Given today's mega-mart stores and warehouse discount stores I think this makes Trader Joe's an excellent alternative

• by tfedge

The Trader Joe’s grocery chain recently opened a store at 2410 James Street here in Bellingham. My first visit was fairly soon after they opened and I was largely unimpressed. Mostly this was due to the large crowds of people who attended the opening and seemed bent on hurrying to get in front of me then standing as still as possible and using their cell phone. So for a while I didn’t go. After a couple of weeks I started going, but only on weekday mornings and now enjoy the store very much.

I’m not sure I can define Trader

Joe’s. It’s sort of a gourmet grocery store that features discount prices. You aren’t going to find a large freezer section with a couple of dozen versions of pepperoni pizza with watery pseudo-mozzarella cheese there, but you will find several frozen pizzas that feature more trendy ingredients such as Portobello mushrooms and gourmet cheeses.

Many of the products are available only in the Trader Joe’s store brand. The quality of these is usually as high as national brands and often exceed the quality of more familiar, nationally advertised brands. Prices are competitive as well. There is a drinkable table ...

• wine for $3 a bottle under the Charles Shaw label. Commonly known as three-buck Chuck the wine isn’t great, but it’s okay and often that’s good enough.

For those of you who live in places without a Trader Joe’s, the Trader Joe’s stores are different from many of the grocery chains because it focuses more on food than other supermarkets. I know that sounds strange, but think about how many non-food items are available at your local market and you’ll know what I mean. There are some non-food items at Trader Joe’s, but they tend to be food related. There

are some personal hygiene products and some cleaning supplies but these are relatively few in number and tend to be “green” instead of the mass marketed products advertised on daytime television. You won’t find motor oil or greeting cards or a large selection of artificial logs there. You will however find good, interesting and tasty food available at a discount for a reasonable price. Given today’s mega-mart stores and warehouse discount stores I think this makes Trader Joe’s an excellent alternative. I’ll do at least some of my grocery shopping there. I give the store an A- or 92%.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 24511244430730/k2311a115/11.5.07