Law & Order Criminal Intent: Lonelyville
2.5
  • Annabella Sciorra was probably the best part of this entire episode
  • The only problem with that, I think, is the fact they kind of treated the whole episode in a light-hearted manner

• by Steve

I’m a big fan of the Law & Order Criminal Intent series, but last night’s episode, Lonelyville, was a bit too much to swallow.

The premise of the show was good; a wannabe writer is getting drunk in a bar and is invited to participate in a threesome with two women. However, he ends up waking up next to the dead body of one of the women. And, naturally, is blamed for the murder.

However, the entire plot of this episode was a bit too paint-by-numbers for me. There was very little detective work involved.

First, they were able to track down the suspect with the pair of earrings on the dead woman. Who gives $10,000 earrings to a prostitute?

It just doesn�t happen. And, I�m still confused about whether the poor guy accused in her murder knew her before hand or not. Because, when she picked him up at the bar, he certainly didn�t seem to. But, there was the suggestion he did.

And, of course, the second the girlfriend made zero effort to defend him and even went out of her way to implement him, I was saying to myself ’she’s somehow involved with all of this.’ Yet, this went unnoticed by the detectives.

Annabella Sciorra was probably the best part of this entire episode. I originally didn�t like her character, but the more I watch her, the more she grows on me. The fact she not ...

• only knew there was bondage involved prior to the murder but what kind of Japanese bondage was used really made me have to stop and wonder ‘what does this woman do on her days off;’ especially since she said it so seriously. I don’t know how Chris Noth kept from cracking up during that scene.

The only problem with that, I think, is the fact they kind of treated the whole episode in a light-hearted manner; something that made the woman’s murder and the events leading up to it a little less believable. I mean, they have hotel video of a second woman, they have the suspect claiming to have evidence of extortion and obviously confused about what

was going on and yet they don’t seem to even want to make the effort to see if maybe he’s telling the truth? After all, nobody ever mentioned motive. It’s almost as though the producers wanted to focus on the sex part of it (to draw in viewers to their new spot on USA) and had the actual detective work take second.

I’m wondering if maybe this episode was better suited for the Law & Order Special Victims Unit series because of the sexual nature of the crime. Since it wouldn’t be anything out of the ordinary, the characters would be able to focus on the actual detective work and make it a better episode than it turned out to be.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 10311242370230/k2311a113/11.3.07