South of Thailand  » Travel  »
  • The South of Thailand, personally to me, is a more popular and a better get-away place, and this is based on my personal experience

• by deadpoet

The South of Thailand, personally to me, is a more popular and a better get-away place, and this is based on my personal experience. To start off, I went to this part of Thailand years back before the Tsunami in 2004, and Ko Samui is actually Thailand’s 3rd largest island, nearer to the coast and is aligned with quiet coves and palm-fringed beaches. It is a very gorgeous, tropical island and there appears to be nice deluxe resorts everywhere.

I stayed in a nice resort while I was there and it wasn’t that bad. The beaches were great and there was true relaxation throughout the entire 2 days there. It took some longer days to explore the rest of South of Thailand though.

I remember going to Lamai,

which is around a few kilometres away to the south. There were really gorgeous beaches around but the areas looked crowded since I was there during the peak season. Coconuts gathering and shipping was the local people way of life there and they even used trained monkeys. One could interact with a local there, and I did, but do not approach the unfriendly ones, alright. I talked to one local coconut gatherer and he told me in broken English that he collected with the help of the monkeys around 900-1000 coconuts per day and could make some money from there.

After that memorable talk, I set my destination for Phuket and this need no introduction to you all, right? Well, as an added information, Phuket is ...

• Thailand’s largest, tourist-infected place of travel and there are lots of premier beach destinations. There were lots of shopping to be done and little attention to anything else, besides the beach. Beaches were mainly Patong Beach, Kamala Beach, Rawai Beach and many more that I couldn’t really remember.

Patong Beach is a beach that I did visit as well and it looked pretty overated to me. But the beachside is filled with hotels, restaurants and the likes and there were lots of shopping to do as well. I did go a bit ga-ga, crazy over the shopping things there. The water activities were a lot like yachting, scuba diving and other entertainment facilities, for that matter. I also did went to Phi Phi Islands and this is

another popular destination and close to Phuket. That was the main reason that I visited Phi Phi Don, which has a nice shape to it and that was before the Tsunami hit the place which was in 2004. The area was badly damaged after the Tsunami, and my heart really went out to the people killed during the process. I heard that the place has been built since and I don’t mind coming back in future to hang around, surely.

So, back to Phi Phi Islands, it seemed a more better option than Phuket, but Phuket will always remain as a shopper’s paradise to me. I give this review a 10, simply because there are just many things that one could do and explore in The South of Thailand.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38311242330230/k2311a113/11.3.07