North Thailand  » Travel  »
Thailand
  • First of all, I went to the village area and then I noticed that that part of the place was filled with art, architecture and handicrafts
  • I love Mae Hong Son, another peculiar name, I know but then, the Shangri-La in Mae Hong Son was very pretty and enchanging
  • I wasn't so interested in the east side which features Nan, since it was kind of a boring place
  • It was paintful just seeing them wearing these brass neck rings, but it is a mark of beauty to the people of Padaung, for all I know

• by deadpoet

North Thailand is a distinct area that I have been to sometime back with my boyfriend. There appears to be lots of lowlands, nice valleys and an array of rolling hills that I felt were very picturesque. Rumors have it that there were opium poppies around and this could be made into opium.

First of all, I went to the village area and then I noticed that that part of the place was filled with art, architecture and handicrafts. There were certainly lots of Burmese influences and one could really wonder in these places. Another place I went including in North Thailand would be Chiang Mai and there were upland sceneries everywhere, which was populated by ethnic minorities and the likes, who have more or less a

traditional lifestyle.

Chiang Mai, also known as ancient Lanna Capital was founded in the 13th century as told by the tour guide that guided me and the rest. There were lots of modern facilities around in Chiang Mai and the town looked pretty historical to me as well. There was also a perhaps quite a similar name called Chiang Rai nearby within, but the settings were more rugged and it also features the Mekong River. I love Mae Hong Son, another peculiar name, I know but then, the Shangri-La in Mae Hong Son was very pretty and enchanging. I wasn’t so interested in the east side which features Nan, since it was kind of a boring place. So, if you must come to North Thailand, skip ...

• that place.

What I love about the Northern adventrue was perhaps the simplicity of it all. I did activities like trekking, mountain biking, a bit of river rafting but the elephant-back treks - I did not have the chance to, because I was down with a flu on the supposed day. I also noticed that the weather/climate felt less humid and was certainly better than in Central Thailand, for that matter. It was really a cool weather throughout and the lodging that I was at was close to the hillsides and that was perhaps the reason for the coolness. In general, Chiang Mai is a nice place to relax and all but the place in itself is filled with temples, which have nothing much else.

The street markets in North

Thailand were aplenty and I also did come across Padaung, and this has some ethnic minorities, which feature women wearing brass neck rings to elongate their necks. It was paintful just seeing them wearing these brass neck rings, but it is a mark of beauty to the people of Padaung, for all I know.

The farms were aplenty too, like the streets, but I would say that the streets were much dirty looking and the farms were cleaner and nicer. That was the distinct difference. As for my lodging place, I moved about 2 places in all and amongst it was called the Rachamanka, which is filled with Asian arts and crafts. There was also a nice garden that I could remember and it certainly proved to be a great loding place.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38311242310230/k2311a113/11.3.07