Akasaka  » Travel  »
Tokyo, Japan
  • Cons wise that I found would be that there were lots of group tours going on around while I was there and that proved to be a bit on the inconvenience side
  • Now, as for the numerous restaurants and bars, there were aplenty but not so interesting, if you ask me

• by deadpoet

Akasaka, from my knowledge, used to be populated with Geishas and these are women mistakenly called prostitutes. One of my Japanese colleague used to tell me that these Geishas are highly-trained artists and dancers. As of now, Akasaka is still Tokyo’s main attraction place.

I went with my 2 best friends, H and Z and we went to the Nagatacho area, which were filled with politicians and bureaucrats at the end of the day. We went during the period of autumn and amazingly, there were cherry blossoms everywhere and it was great. There were children dressed in traditional costumes and they were super cute, I tell you. There were even colorful processions and H and Z were truly amazed, including myself. All of us loved witnessing the processions

and we engaged a particular tour guide which then brought us to the southhwest area where we visited the Imperial Palace. This is another nice and big, fun place to explore.

Akasaka is filled with luxurious hotels and I have stayed in Hotel New Otani, and I might review it in my future reviews for other chain hotels besides the one in my own country that I have stayed at before. So, back to the review. We also were brought to the Musee Tomo and this place features the finest in ceramics and we laughingly went to the National Diet Building, which was a pyramid-shaped dome place. Z was laughing profusely, because she really felt that visiting the place was like narrowing her down, since she was on the overweight ...

• side.

There was a free 1 hour tour in the Diet Building that I mentioned and that was possible when there was no sessions going on. The central hall was gorgeous and filled with marble-tiles and amazingly, there were lots of murals as well.

Cons wise that I found would be that there were lots of group tours going on around while I was there and that proved to be a bit on the inconvenience side. We also went to check out some leading schools since we were in the area and the Soyetsu Kaikan(not sure right spelling) featured some leading schools under its belt. There were lots of classes in English and the art installation looked very artistry to me.

Now, as for the numerous restaurants and bars, there were aplenty but

not so interesting, if you ask me. But everything was set in a hip Tokyo setting and it looked pretty historical to me. Last but not least, my most memorable trip of all would be to the Akasaka Detached Palace. I was told by the staff there that the palace was built in 1909 and parts of the building was influenced from the Louvre and Versailles in France. There was a nice guesthouse in the palace as well and we supposed it was a real funky living the period before us.

We then walked around 15 minutes to reach the central Akasaka and there were more things to be explored here. To me, Akasaka is like an eye-opener to me to respect the colors and cultures of Japan, especially in Tokyo.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38311242300230/k2311a113/11.3.07