Corner Cottage B&B  » Hotels  »
Wilmar Minnesota
  • I think you could call the cottage a arts and craft type home

• by arabgirl28

This place is just a renovated home. If you are looking for ambience then don’t come here. Don’t get me wrong - it is a nice place but it is more like a display home for a contractor rather than a real classy bed and breakfast. There are 4 guest room in the Inn. The one saving grace of the place is that is within walking distance of the town of Wilmar. I think you could call the cottage a arts and craft type home. The windows are cool they are very decorative and kind of Frank Lloyd Wrightish with lots of straight lines.

The lobby looks like it could have been a converted porch. They did a really nice job though. There was a semi circular tall desk where you check in. It looked like it was special made for that spot. The owners were into teapots. There had to be a couple of hundred teapots in that lobby. The walls were done up in a pastel blue with white woodwork - very contemporary. The owners

were very helpful. I had stayed here while on a work trip and had lots of stuff to drag into my room and they helped me with that. There was fresh fruit and juices to be had all during the day. From the lobby you stepped up 2 steps and I was heading down a hall to my room.

My room was extremely plain. The walls were white and the room was very small. I had mission style furniture in my room which was way to large for the room. There was only enough room for one night stand. It was a very long narrow room. The bed was at one end and the rest of the furniture was at the other end. The bed itself was very pretty and the coverlet on the bed was a gold brocaded fringed cover which didn’t match the rest of the colors. The mattress was very soft and comfortable.

So there was a big af a furniture nest at one end of the room along with the bathroom. I had a really large tv and ...

• it had 100 plus channels. I loved the windows - the bedroom had quite of few of them and they had green lace curtains on them. It was almost a pity to cover up the windows. I really loved them.

The furniture at the other end of the room was all reupholstered and looked OK but was a bit worn. The colors were a combination of green a yellow and I didn’t like that all. It looked really dorky. The sofa and chairs were a mixture of floral yellows and the carpet was green. It looked like a kid had done the decorating. The bathroom looked like it came in as a second thought addon. It was also long and dark. There were “no” windows in the bathroom whatsoever and it looked bad. There was linoleum on the floor and the sink was white, but it was stained. The tub/shower was a a surround system. I had lots of water pressure and had really good shower while I was there.

I got a little

bored one night and found out that they had a billiard room in the basement. Why it was there I have no idea - no one was using it. Additionally, it had vending machines in the basement. Reminded me of a dorm or a frat house. There was a combination sitting room/breakfast area. That was one of the prettiest places in the house. The owner decorated it with sheer curtains and a well decorated table with flowers and memory books of the people who have stayed here. The place had mission furniture, which was a bit big for the room but it was well placed and very comfortable. They did throw some wicker furniture in which did look out of place.

The breakfast was gourmet. Egg coffee, white fish quiche, homemade bagels, homemade jellies and jams, homemade bread. It was absolutely delightful.

I don’t think I will stay here again. It was just not well done and very, very cramped. It was not a careful display of the furniture and amenities they had - which was very few.

Live and Learn!!!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2311242270230/k2311a113/11.3.07