Vinne Van Go-Go’s : NY Pizza  » Restaurants  »
Savannah, GA
  • But I definitely detect a difference in cuisine overall
  • Still, if you're looking for this type of experience, or want a quick inexpensive bite to eat while you're out doing the tourist thing--stop in, and you won't be disappointed

• by Famous

If you happen to be in Savannah for a visit, and are doing all the tourist-y stuff–be sure to stop into Vinnie Van Go-Go’s for a slice of authentic NY pizza. Being from NY, I will admit that there is really nothing like the “real” thing. I don’t know if the chef/owner is from NY.

But this pizza is pretty close to

authentic NY slices. The place is even something out of a Brooklyn pizzeria, only this restaurant (for the comfort of patrons) has added an outdoor eating area.

I have found that Southerners are much more “gentile” when it comes to things like cuisine. People in NY are in so much of a hurry, that most pizzerias are drive-thrus, in that customers just want ...

• to come in, grab their slice(s) and go.

As for the food, the crust on their neopolitan slices was a bit too crispy for me. And I am used to a lot more cheese, enough so that each bite yields a stringy detachment session.

In NY I usually order just a plain cheese slice. But in shops like this, I order

pepperoni and onions.

My slice had entirely too many onions. But I would rather have too many than not enough.

Meat was tasty. But I definitely detect a difference in cuisine overall.

Still, if you’re looking for this type of experience, or want a quick inexpensive bite to eat while you’re out doing the tourist thing–stop in, and you won’t be disappointed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 7311241730130/k2311a113/11.3.07