Soodlum’s Irish Tin Whistle
  • Still a favourite after all these years by top Irish and Celtic Musicians, the Tin Whistle can be viewed as a very small version of clarinet

• by Melissa Glenn

The Soodlum Tin Whistle or the Irish Tin Whistle as it is more commonly referred to is one of the oldest musical instruments used in Ireland. Still a favourite after all these years by top Irish and Celtic Musicians, the Tin Whistle can be viewed as a very small version of clarinet.

Known for its mellow tone, and ease of play, the Irish Tin Whistle is usually played in the

key of G or D. For Irish school children, it is often the first musical instrument they learn to play.

Playing music on the Irish Tin Whistle is a work of art, but need not be difficult. I learnt to play one as a schoolgirl in Britain, and found it remarkably easy. Due to the lightweight of the tin, it is easy to bring the whistle up to my mouth,

• and hold it at a horizontal position.

To begin with I place the first three fingers on my left hand over the first three holes of the tin whistle, then cover the bottom three holes with the first three fingers of my right hand. My thumbs rest on the side of the whistle, which is about an inch wide in diameter. I always have to remember not to let

my teeth touch the mouthpiece but to hold it gently between my lips.

The first song I learnt to play on the Irish tin whistle was Baa Baa Black sheep and I remember it to this day. Nowadays I play alongside other musicians in choirs and choral groups and my Irish Tin Whistle solos are always appreciated. Soodlum�s Irish Tin Whistle�s are still sold at fine music stores around the globe.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14211241490730/k2311a112/11.2.07