Waeco car coolers/warmers
  • A few months ago I decided that it was time for me to get a Car fridge
  • I was happy with the results initially since it does exactly what it says

• by Wendy

A few months ago I decided that it was time for me to get a Car fridge. I was looking for something that was inexpensive but that was also capable of keeping things cool. I settled for a Waeco thermoelectric cooler/warmer. I was happy with the results initially since it does exactly what it says….it is capable of colling upto 27 degrees below the ambient temperature and is also capable of keeping things warm at the mere flick of a switch.

The down side

however is that it has to plugged in to the car’s cigarette lighter all the time to work since there are no portable batteries that I have found that are capable of handling the power consumption. Since I drive for just a couple of hours of day, it is by no means enough to provide sufficient power to even get the fridge moderately cool.

I hen bought a Waeco powerpack PS 400 since the salesman at the hardware store told me that it ...

• would power the fridge for a good 8 hours at least. This was however a bad joke and nothing else. The power pack runs down in just over a couple of hours and it’s heavy 8.5 kgs is a pain to carry home for a charge everday.

I recently read about another power alternative from Waeco. The CP 36 which is a deep cycle battery and can provide up to 36 hours of power. However, it costs a whopping $300!!! I’m still

thinking about this but doubt that I will shell out that much money for something to keep my orange juice cool.

All in all the concept of a car fridge is brilliant and the available products are very good but the power source is still something that needs work. Plugging it into the cigarette lighter with the engine off would be disastrous. So I guess I’ll still have to lug ice pack around in my ‘ Fridge’ to keep it cool in the mean time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 92910237520831/k2311a1029/10.29.07