Vietnam War Memorial  » Travel  »
Washington, DC
  • Yet this memorial was sort of hidden compared to most
  • I however had to pause just for a moment, when I realized what it was to pay my respects for those who paid the ultimate of sacrifice
  • I just wish I had more time as I had to leave is what I kept thinking to myself and I'm sure most of them felt that way too
  • It's funny the irony of that thought and how life just rushes by

• by sadonna

In 2005 I was lucky enough to get to go on a trip to Washington, DC. One of the many things I went to see was the Vietnam War Memorial.

It was a massive large wall with the names of all the men and women who died during the Vietnam War.

It serves as a reminder to us that so many have sacrificed.

If you have ever visited it you will understand just how many

lives it touches by how many names are etched there in the granite.

It will send cold chills down your spine to think of the countless stories of the lives these people left behind, mostly the children now without parents.

It tugs at your very soul.

Yet this memorial was sort of hidden compared to most.

We really only found it by chance because the subway stations at Arlington and the Lincoln memorial were closed ...

• and we had to go back by the capital building to find one that was still running trains at 11 pm.

It was in the quite of the night running through the streets of DC that we happened upon this memorial.

Tucked away if you would as if it was hidden like a dirty little secret they do not want us to remember.

Is that why it took so long to build? I had to wonder

to my self as we rushed by.

I however had to pause just for a moment, when I realized what it was to pay my respects for those who paid the ultimate of sacrifice.

I just wish I had more time as I had to leave is what I kept thinking to myself and I’m sure most of them felt that way too.

It’s funny the irony of that thought and how life just rushes by.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382410236641031/k2311a1024/10.24.07