Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer  » Movies  »
2.5
  • When I first watched this movie, I will say I enjoyed it
  • In fact, after watching it, I felt a bit disappointed in it
  • Out of a 90 minute movie, I think these added up to about 20 minutes, maybe 30
  • The movie also seemed a bit too comic bookish (yes, I know it is based off of a comic book)

• by Steve

Whenever Hollywood produces a movie about superheroes that is successful at the box office, it isn’t unusual to see them attempt to make a sequel. Usually, the sequel is nowhere near as good as the original.

Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer is a perfect example of this.

When I first watched this movie, I will say I enjoyed it. But, I didn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much as the original. In fact, after watching it, I felt a bit disappointed in it.

I wasn’t sure why exactly this was until I replayed the movie over and over again in my mind and realized that, for an action movie, there really wasn’t that much action.

The film takes place shortly after the Fantastic

4 were created and saved the world from Victor Von Doom. The planet is once again under attack, only this time by a planet-eating monster called Gallactus, who sends his servant, the Silver Surfer, to prepare Earth for destruction.

Even though he’s the title character, you really don’t see all that much of the Silver Surfer in this film. He appears several times in the beginning and then has a slightly bigger role toward the end. Gallactus itself only makes the equivalent of a cameo appearance.

Rather than focusing on the main plot, the movie chooses to instead focus on the Fantastic 4 themselves and their internal conflicts. Those include Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible woman being unable to get married because of ...

• constant media attention and interruptions, the possible break up of the team whenever they do finally get married and the Human Torch getting his DNA messed up by the Silver Surfer, giving him the power to switch powers with the other team members.

In all, I counted three legitimate action scenes; the Silver Surfer versus the Human Torch early on, the Fantastic 4 trying to save people from a Ferris wheel and the final battle at the end. Out of a 90 minute movie, I think these added up to about 20 minutes, maybe 30.

The movie also seemed a bit too comic bookish (yes, I know it is based off of a comic book). Sue Storm (Jessica Alba) seemed a bit cartoonish

throughout and I could have sworn she was smarter in the first movie. I mean, she was an astronaut before she got her super powers and was able to help with the various science experiments conducted by Mr. Fantastic. In this film, she pretty much got by on her looks and niceness. I’m not even sure why she was in half the scenes.

And Mr. Fantastic’s dancing during his bachelor party was just stupid. It was a bit like watching that campy Batman movie from the 70s.

The end of this movie left the door open for a third one. However, I actually am hoping they don�t attempt it. At least, not if they intend on having it be as bad as this film.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112410236451031/k2311a1024/10.24.07