Knocked Up  » Movies  »
  • When I saw the previews to the movie Knocked Up, I thought it would be hilarious
  • After watching it last night, I can say I was seriously disappointed by it
  • Yes, the idea of some woman having a one night stand with a guy who is her complete opposite then having his baby is interesting
  • And, of course, even though the women in the movie are just as much of a problem, it's the guys who have to make the major change for there to be a happy ending

• by Steve

When I saw the previews to the movie Knocked Up, I thought it would be hilarious. In fact, I had a couple friends tell me they watched it and were laughing throughout.

After watching it last night, I can say I was seriously disappointed by it.

I will start out by saying; Knocked Up wasn’t a bad movie by any means. It was entertaining and had some funny moments. But, overall, it wasn�t anything I haven’t seen a dozen times before. Guy meets girl. Guy gets girl pregnant. They get in a fight halfway through the movie and make up just in time for the birth of their child.

Even this was advertised as a comedy, most of the jokes in it weren’t very well executed and I didn’t find myself laughing all that much. Yes, the idea of some woman having a one

night stand with a guy who is her complete opposite then having his baby is interesting. But, the writers really dropped the ball when it came to making this a comedy.

Most of the jokes in the film were on-going. That would have been fine if they got funnier every time you saw it but most got old very quick.

For example idea of pregnancy hormones causing major mood swings was funny at first (mostly because my wife and I were taking the time to compare it to when she was pregnant) but, toward the end of the movie, the woman was getting just plain mean. The drug scenes were OK at first but you can only see so much pot smoking before you get bored with that too.

And, the major characters were constantly bickering with each other. This wouldn’t be so bad if ...

• they picked something funny to argue over, but most of the stuff was pretty serious; drug use, not reading baby books, etc. so it was more like watching a drama than a comedy.

The movie also focused a bit too much on stereotypes. The men were portrayed as not doing their part in the pregnancy and not taking fatherhood or their relationships seriously. And, of course, even though the women in the movie are just as much of a problem, it’s the guys who have to make the major change for there to be a happy ending. In other words, it was a classic chick flick.

Again, it was the same thing I’ve seen a dozen times before. It just had different characters and a different title. Though, I will admit, it is the first time I’ve seen a film that had several characters

develop pink eye because they farted on a pillow.

Watching the film, I will admit it did bring back memories of when my wife and I were expecting our child; and that did redeem the movie a bit. But, much like my wife’s pregnancy, I started wondering if and when the baby would get there. In fact, I gave serious consideration to just going to bed and telling my wife to tell me if it was a boy or girl. And, to be honest, if I had known they would be as graphic as they were during the birth scene, I probably would have.

If you are looking for a feel-good movie, this is probably a good one to rent. If you�re looking for a movie that is going to give you a lot of laughs, your best bet is to rent something else.

Knocked Up

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112410236200931/k2311a1024/10.24.07