Mount Mitchell  » Travel  »
Burnsville, North Carolina
  • I don't think they use the fire tower any more other than a landmark

• by sadonna

Mount Mitchell is located on the blue ridge park way shortly after you pass by Asheville, North Carolina. It is majestic in the way that it towers over the other mountain peaks in the area. Every year there is a bike and foot race to the top of Mount Mitchell.

It takes an enormous amount of training, endurance and stamina to compete in these races. We usually would just wave as the racers go by the check point that

was only a mile from our home at the time.

Me and my three kids went there once to see what all the mystic was about Mount Mitchell. As you drive up the access road leaving the blue ridge parkway you become entranced with how high up it is and how beautiful the scenery really is.

Mount Mitchell is the one of the ten highest mountain peaks east of the Mississippi river. They have several backpacking camp ...

• sites but you need to be in fairly good shape because it is straight up a fairly steep hillside to get to them.

Me and my kids bought a drink at the concession stand at the edge of the parking lot before starting our day of hiking. Then we went by the museum but it was closed the day we were there.

We continued up and around to the old fire tower. Although my middle daughter was afraid to

climb up the steps of the tower the rest of us did.

The views were more than worth it. I don’t think they use the fire tower any more other than a landmark.

Afterwards we continued around coming out just above the parking lot where we had parked. We could see for miles and miles but I kind of wish we had come in the spring when the flowers were blooming because I’m sure it would have been even more beautiful.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382310233750331/k2311a1023/10.23.07