Napoleon City Park  » Travel  »
Napoleon, Ohio
  • One of my favorite places to go in Napoleon was the city park down along the banks of the Maumee river
  • I loved the way the snow covered everything giving it new definition

• by sadonna

One of my favorite places to go in Napoleon was the city park down along the banks of the Maumee river. In the spring, summer and fall we would swing, play tennis, fish or shoot baskets. There were always a variety of activities to do.

One of my favorite things was riding my skateboard on the road when there was no traffic coming through the park. The park was usually not

busy except in the winter time.

Winter was a special time. The fire department would take down the net over the tennis courts.

Then they would spray down the court with water from their tanker truck. After a day or two it would be frozen enough that it became the communities outdoor ice skating rink.

Someone typically built a bon fire on Saturdays at one of the tennis courts so everyone ...

• could get warm by the fire. It was a lot of fun to ice skate.

I would look around at the ice hanging from the trees around the river as I skated by. I loved the way the snow covered everything giving it new definition.

If it had been cold enough for a week or more someone would cut a hole in the ice on the river to see

if it was at least a foot thick. If it was a foot thick then the rednecks would come out to drive their four wheel drive vehicles on the river.

It never ceases to amaze me that they think four wheel drive makes it better to drive on ice than other types of vehicles. It sure is a sight anyways to watch how they slip and slide around making fools of themselves.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382110232200931/k2311a1021/10.21.07