Chocolat movie  » Movies  »
  • The one movie I remember seeing that I know she was in is The English Patient , but I don't remember her in the film
  • If you need more, Judi Dench, one of my favorites, has an interesting role
  • Dench plays an elderly diabetic in the film that would rather risk the damage Vianne's chocolates may cause her to experience life at its fullest
  • I loved this movie, just as I love all movies that encourage people to avoid living the normal, expected, even demanded, lifestyle

• by tfedge

I had the great pleasure recently to watch the DVD of Lasse Hallstrom’s (2000) movie “Chocolat.” The movie stars the both pretty and beautiful Juliette Binoche as Vianne Rocher, an unmarried mother and free spirit. Vianne arrives in a small French village just as Lent is starting and opens a chocolate shop that features the most luscious looking chocolates ever to appear on a movie screen. Opposite Binoche is the Comte Paul de Reynaud the local big wheel who has an exaggerated sense of propriety and demands that all the villagers behaves as he thinks they should. Thus he has no use for Vianne and her chocolates that excite the locals to life, improve their sex lives, and threaten to make free spirits of the inhabitants

of the village.

“Chocolat” is a movie of the genre of “it’s better to be an individual than it is an average member of society ” type that is so popular in small art cinemas and video stores. I’ve never been that interested in being one of the average 9:00 to 5:00 types who works in one job for forty years to retire just in time for a fatal stroke. I’ll take my life in small doses daily without spending all my time preparing for tomorrow. If and when tomorrow comes, I’ll deal with it, or not.

As I said above Binoche is luscious in “Chocolat” the combination of her radiant beauty and the homemade, hand-dipped chocolates take “Chocolat” to a new high in sensuous moviegoing ...

• entertainment. She is the type of actor that makes me want to see all of her movies and I’ve already added her to my film queue. Binoche is largely unknown to me. The one movie I remember seeing that I know she was in is “The English Patient”, but I don’t remember her in the film. So I guess it’s time for me to see this movie again. I haven’t seen it since it was in cinemas about ten years ago.

Juliette Binoche is enough to float your boat. If you need more, Judi Dench, one of my favorites, has an interesting role. Dench plays an elderly diabetic in the film that would rather risk the damage Vianne’s chocolates may cause her to experience life at its

fullest. She and her daughter aren’t speaking so Dench isn’t allowed to see her grandson. Vianne soon addresses this problem.

Alfred Molina is convincing as the self-righteous Comte Paul de Reynau. Molina is one of these actors that you recognize, but you’re not sure from where. This is true in Molina’s case because Molina has appeared in a diverse range of movies. I finally remembered the movie he was in that plagued me as I watched the movie when I recognized him as one of Mel Gibson’s opponents in the movie “Maverick” that co-starred Jodi Foster.

I loved this movie, just as I love all movies that encourage people to avoid living the normal, expected, even demanded, lifestyle. I recommend it and give it an A or 93%.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111410228310731/k2311a1014/10.14.07