1984  » Books  »
2.5
  • Recently though, probably out of boredom, I decided to actually sit down and finally see for myself what was so important about this book
  • I was impressed with the whole concept of the book
  • I found myself actually getting bored to the point where I would skip over several paragraphs at a time so I would still get an idea about what was happening without having to read endless details that really had nothing to do with the story at hand
  • In other words, I think I would give the message the book is trying to send a 10 out of 10

• by Steve

When I was in college, one of the required books for my political science courses was George Orwell’s 1984. I didn’t read it (but still passed).

Recently though, probably out of boredom, I decided to actually sit down and finally see for myself what was so important about this book. I have to say, I was really impressed.

Well, I should rephrase that. I was impressed with the whole concept of the book; the fact

Big Brother controls every move we make and even what we believe by doing things from engaging in an on-going war to re-writing the history books. That concept and how he describes it is very frightening because, in theory, it could happen.

Outside of that, I actually didn’t really enjoy the book. The idea behind it is good; the execution is not. I found myself actually getting bored to the point where I would ...

• skip over several paragraphs at a time so I would still get an idea about what was happening without having to read endless details that really had nothing to do with the story at hand.

I also found it confusing a bit the way Orwell skips over whole portions of his characters lives; especially the transition from book 2 to book three; where they go from joining the rebellion against Big Brother to suddenly

being in prison with no detail about how they had gotten caught. It’s OK to leave some things to the imagination, but you can sometimes leave a little too much too.

In other words, I think I would give the message the book is trying to send a 10 out of 10. But, as for the book itself, if it weren’t for the message, I doubt it would have been required reading in college.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171410228270731/k2311a1014/10.14.07