Arab Street Singapore  » Travel  »
Singapore
  • The food are truly delicious and there are menus like rice with raisins and half-meat chicken and the flavors are usually sweet
  • One thing that I dislike would be the fact that the shop vendors selling clothes and rugs are mostly Arabian men and they tend to be a bit on the cheeky side
  • In truth, I enjoy the scenic view of the mosques there and the main one is called the Sultan Mosque
  • So, if you want to experience a cultural place, do visit Arab Street

• by deadpoet

Arab Street is located in a tiny street of Singapore and is actually near to the Bugis MRT. MRT stands for Mass Rapid Transit and is actually a means of transportation which is the subway. The place is very nice and full of things Arab. It is actually a cultural place and there are things on sale like carpets, rugs and textiles.

Though the place is a bit remote, it is not hard to find by walking. I always go to the place whenever I want to eat by certain restaurants there and most of the restaurants there are shisha-concept ones. The restaurants are always packed on weekends and will open right up until 2 AM. As for shopping wise, I would say it is a pretty paradise place for me with clothes

all over from China, India, Turkey and many more. There are even wholesale business there and people buy in bulk for their businesses.

As for the crowd, there are lots of locals and international tourists as well. There has been quite a few times whereby the tourists asked me for directions. The shops there are mainly stored in shop-houses and they usually close around 6 or 7 PM everyday. The shisha restaurants are unique to me. Food are served outdoor on the table or up the stairs on the shophouses whereby food are served on some cushiony pillows and mattress-like fabric. All have to sit on the floor and eat the food. The food are truly delicious and there are menus like rice with raisins and half-meat chicken and the flavors are ...

• usually sweet. The shisha restaurants are really unique and really give a good face value to Arab Street.

One thing that I dislike would be the fact that the shop vendors selling clothes and rugs are mostly Arabian men and they tend to be a bit on the cheeky side. I don’t mind that they are being over the top friendly, but the way they look at you and sometimes make lame jokes just don’t get by me. However, not all vendors are like that and some just give a greeting and ask if you want to look at the things in their shops. I normally just smile and walk past, since the main reason I go there sometimes is just to check out some accessories. As for the salespersons selling accessories, scarves and

also some belly-dancing equipments, most are attended by female salespersons and they appeared to be a bit on the snobbish side. But they are extremely friendly to the tourists and pretty snobbish to the locals. I just feel that they are hurting themselves in the business in the long run. Perhaps locals don’t buy in bulk like some tourists but if not for word of mouths from the locals, I am sure no tourists would really notice the place, right?

But the place is a sanctuary for me, minus the snobbish salespersons. In truth, I enjoy the scenic view of the mosques there and the main one is called the Sultan Mosque. So, if you want to experience a cultural place, do visit Arab Street. It is good to be walking for a bit there.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381310227601131/k2311a1013/10.13.07