Lyon
France
  • I don't know why it is not a favorite amongst many tourists, but I am sure that it will be one day and as hot as say, Paris or Milan

• by deadpoet

I always felt that Lyon as an undiscovered gem of France. It is a charming French city, not frequented by many at the time that I visited. I don’t know why it is not a favorite amongst many tourists, but I am sure that it will be one day and as hot as say, Paris or Milan.

If you are alright with the fact that there are only a few tourists roaming the city and you don’t mind being looked at by some of the locals there, then welcome to Lyon and I was there for around 4 days and 3 nights and already I was loving every moment being in the place. Most of the people there speak in French instead of English but if you ask for directions, they will not

hesitate to give. As for things that I find in Lyon, there appears to be lots of riverside cafes (popular hang-outs by the locals there), lots of nice and incredible shopping and also free from tour buses and of course, massive tourists like you can find in China or something like that. I was glad to be away from it all but trying to order food proved to be a pretty challenging task in Lyon. The wait staff could not understand a word of English and there had been twice that my food had arrived with the wrong menu. I did not mind that, and instead kept a smiling face.

My boyfriend highlighted the fact that it was a pretty ironical thing that Lyon, being one of the largest cities in France,

• and having almost no tourists at all. The sights and sounds were extremely rich and I totally agreed with what my boyfriend said. Transportation was also pretty accessible and it was easy to get to a particular museum or theater.

Amongst some places that I had managed to visit were The Museum of the Gaelic and Roman Civilisation and Tete d’Or Park. This park is truly awesome and gives out access to the zoo, botanical garden, lake views and also riding ponies, which I find to be a true joy. i thoroughly enjoyed everything in Lyon and certainly felt that it is an underrated place that no one fancies yet.

We took some train rides and it amounted to around $30+ in all. We made a lot of pit stops

and every station was an eye-opener for us. We managed to explore Fouviere Hill and this hill overlooked the old city which consisted of several Roman theaters. There were lots of lovely footpaths up there that had access through the gardens and I took lots of pictures.

Hotels in Lyon are aplenty as well and if you manage to choose a good hotel with lots of fun places to explore within the surroundings of the hotel areas would be great. There was never a time in our touring that we felt bored and I would say it is relatively safe to be exploring the places in Lyon, for sure. Last but not least, I am proud to say that Lyon is a large city that by far, boasts an extended France beauty.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381110227000631/k2311a1011/10.11.07