Capital Health Link  » Medicine  »
  • I love this service, especially being a new mom
  • The formula I bought is made for babies her age, and there was no way I could have known how it would affect her
  • I also really like that the nurses don't immediately recommend drugs or therapy

• by Becky McDonald

Recently moving to Edmonton and having had a baby, I’ve been enlightened to a wonderful free service known as Capital Health Link. Instead of rushing to a hospital or medi-clinic everytime one of us is under the weather, I just call a local number to speak to a registered nurse.

I love this service, especially being a new mom. The nurses I’ve talked to have been great, friendly and patient. They ask tonnes of questions to get a thorough list of

symptoms, even taking into consideration recent events and diet change.

I love the fact that they never blame anything - such as my daughter’s recent issue with constipation. I felt terribly guilty because I had to buy her a less expensive type of formula due to lack of money, and the nurses promptly told me that I had done nothing wrong. The formula I bought is made for babies her age, and there was no way I could have known how ...

• it would affect her. I really appreciated this.

It’s also great if you need to go to the hospital. They contact the nearest site and let them know you’re on your way, faxing over the information they just collected. They also tell the ER if they think you need to be seen immediately or not. This is great, it saves a lot of time and talking.

I also really like that the nurses don’t immediately recommend drugs or therapy. First, they recommend all

home or overthe counter remedies, then its off the a doctor for a precription or what have you.

The only thing I really can’t stand is that everytime you talk to them, you get a large envelope in the mail reiterating everything they told you on the phone. It makes for a lot of junk. But, I’ll deal with it in exchange for the great advice.

If you live in central Alberta, I highly recommend Heath Link to anyone with any health issues or concerns.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261110226580631/k2311a1011/10.11.07