The Mindful Way through Depression by Mark Williams et al  » Books  »
  • The Mindful Way through Depression was a different kettle of fish, however -- I actually found some new and useful material here
  • The copy I read also contained a CD -- which adds another $25 to the purchase price

• by Diane H

I found this to be a pretty useful book. It’s a collaborative effort by four scientist/psychologists: Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal, and Jon Kabat-Zinn. Often, when I read this sort of self-help book, I find that I’m reading the same sort of material with which I am already all too familiar. “The Mindful Way through Depression” was a different

kettle of fish, however — I actually found some new and useful material here.

One of the points that is brought out very early in the book is that our normal methods of solving problems are not very useful when attempting to combat depression. With this in mind, the authors took me through a series of exercises meant to reinforce my ...

• “mindfulness” — the same sort of philosophical outlook that is so familiar to anyone who has ever dabbled in Zen meditation.

I really liked this book, and got a number of very useful and practical ideas out of it. I expect that I will re-read it again, more thoroughly the next time, and set up a practical schedule to implement some

of the suggestions.

I got this particular book from the library, but it’s certainly worth the $19.95 the book retails for. The copy I read also contained a CD — which adds another $25 to the purchase price. I’m not at all sure the CD is worth the extra money, especially if you have any background at all in meditation.

Lucy Baker says :

I would like to politely point out an error in this review. The cost of The Mindful Way through Depression is 19.95 including the CD. The CD is not an additional 25.

Diane H replies :

You`re right — the publisher now lists the paperback plus CD at 19.95 and the hardcover plus CD at 45.00. I`m not sure what was available when I wrote the review, in October 2007, but those seem to be the prices now. There are cheaper listings on Amazon, but it`s not clear to me whether the 13.57 paperback includes the CD. I`m glad you commented on this review — I`d forgotten about this book, and I think maybe it`s time to reread it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171110226410531/k2311a1011/10.11.07