Ellis Island  » Travel  »
New York
  • Next, I noticed that there was a sign that said backpackers are not allowed
  • I love the weather in the island and felt that everything was really beautiful and gorgeous
  • There was an instant diversity of the island that I felt, which is definitely attached to USA
  • I just love the experience so much and to be learning of someone else's culture and heritage

• by deadpoet

Ellis Island is like a place full of wonderful historical facts and finds to me. I have heard about Ellis Island before I got to this place before by my friends back home and they said that if you actually managed to visit, it is a fantastic place.

SO, I went during the year 2004 with my boyfriend and we had some 4 luxury days visit in New York and we just took our time to be at Ellis Island. We got to Ellis Island from Battery Park and we asked around and found out that there was also another option, which was from the Liberty State Park. We bought some tickets to check out Castle Clinton in Battery Park, before heading to the island. We got on

a ferry and it was a nice ride before we reached Ellis Island.

The ferry ran around approximately 15 minutes each time and we bought adult tickets, costing around $10 each. The ferry appeared to be on a private company but we felt very safe and came to the same conclusion that the ferry ride was lovely and relaxing. There was a nice added touch just by having this ferry ride and I was surprised that I wasn’t seasick at all. Next, I noticed that there was a sign that said backpackers are not allowed. I am not sure why, but we were carrying just a small bag each, so we did not have problems with the security. As for the the museums featured there, they were ...

• mainly on some of the exhibits on the early immigrants and how they had managed to carve a journey and life in Ellis Island before. I love the weather in the island and felt that everything was really beautiful and gorgeous. Food in Ellis Island consisted of different varieties, and there were nice local cuisines all the time. There was an instant diversity of the island that I felt, which is definitely attached to USA. It was almost immediately that I felt the urge and rush on how the forefathers of the place came to love the place and built a life there.

All in all, we spent around 4 hours navigating our way in Ellis Island and on the way back, I felt that the ferry was

overly crowded. It seemed that everyone was impatient to get home and they kept on pushing and shoving around. I also overheard someone saying that Ellis Island was what they call the “American Dream”. It certainly felt like it but it did not matter that I do not have any history there at all, nor my ancestors. I just love the experience so much and to be learning of someone else’s culture and heritage. Those were really priceless education and you wouldn’t get in any history books. Last but not least, I forget to mention that the whole time that my boyfriend and I were there, we had gotten some friendly smiles from the people there and I felt touched that they would care to look at us.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38410224160831/k2311a104/10.4.07